Saturday, March 10, 2007

Nothing Runs Like A Deere

It's hard to pinpoint the day when a kid first "decides" (if in fact they do 'decide') to get INTO something. It seems that since day one Justin has been INTO John Deere tractors. His entire room is John Deere, he can tell you which tractor is and which is not a John Deere, and when you ask him what he wants for his birthday (this month!) he'll tell you that he needs new John Deere pants and a real John Deere to go with his hat (a gift from Nana's friend) and his John Deere shirt (not sure that there are John Deere pants out there ... anyone ever see any?).

It is awesome to see kids develop their own personalities, their likes, their dislikes, their passions, and their obsessions. I'm reading Chuck Swindoll's newest book on parenting and I'm totally resonating with his main point. This is what he says:
"The job of a parent is to help his or her children come to know
themselves, grow to like themselves, and find satisfaction in being themselves."
I need to think about how this plays out in day-to-day living. Anyone want to talk about this?
Proverbs 22:6

1 comment:

chrissie k said...

Oh, that the Lord will give me the grace to be able to teach my children how to be satisfied with who they have been created to be!! Lord knows how FAR I am from truly knowing that and living it. Far, far, far...

Good question and good thought! I just picked up a great book, "everyday talk" by john younts -- it can highly recommended. I'm looking forward to delving into it.

Man, I am such a sinner!

Love you friend.

CK

Me and G

Me and G