Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A Good Day

Today was/is a good day.

We spent most of the day at the downtown library: reading, "doing" school, playing with blocks, looking at kids magazines, drinking good coffee. Later this afternoon the girls helped each other learn to roller skate and Justin and I played with Tinkertoys while making chocolate chip cookies (the easy refrigerated dough kind!). A good day!

One of the things that keeps me homeschooling through the rough days/weeks are days like today when I hear Eden reading to Justin, when we share chocolate chip cookies around the table, and when I witness the endearing moments such as this:


Today was a good day! But as I reflect on it, a lot of what makes for a good day are the decisions we make in the day and the attitude we have. For example, as we were enjoying a nice quiet lunch at the library (packed by Karis!) I had a frantic realization that I forgot about swimming lessons ... oops (and not the first oops of the day). My heart sunk - this was going to ruin my nice day at the library if we had to clean up our lunch, rush home, change into swim suites and run to the pool (the lesson was at 12:30pm). I mentioned my "oops" to the girls and they non-chalantly said, "Oh well, I guess we'll have to miss it." (And they love swimming!) Attitude is everything. We (or should I say "they") made a good decision - we acknowledged our (or should I say "my") oops, we hope we won't make a mistake like that again, and we move on with our good day. So often a simple oops can take control of a perfectly good day - I need to remember that my mistakes are forgiven and my attitude should be that of gratitude and praise.

So, today I am thankful for my awesome kids (and husband!) and I praise God for a good day!

P.S. Recently my friend Dawnelle asked her blogging friends to submit to her their questions about home schooling. I love the questions people ask and I love the answers she has - check out her blog and see what she has to say.

1 comment:

Henry Cate said...

"Later this afternoon the girls helped each other learn to roller skate"

That is wonderful. It is great when children help each other.

A year or two ago our second daughter took our third daughter out to the backyard. I was at work. My wife was in the house working on stuff. A couple hours later our second daughter had successfully taught her little sister how to ride a bike!!!

Me and G

Me and G