Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Really Bad Day ... A Really Silly Day ... A Really Exciting Day ...

If I've learned anything in the past few years with my kids it's that no matter how organized you are, no matter how fun your lessons are, no matter how excited you are ... if the kids are in a funk ain't nothin' but a new day gonna get 'em outta that funk. Monday - we were in a funk. There was not one minute of the entire day where one of my little "angels" was NOT crying (not exaggerating). In the words of Alexander, it was a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day" - but we learned "a lot about livin' and a little 'bout love".

So, we had a good sleep and Tuesday was a silly day. No kidding - we laughed about EVERYthing - even a simple "gospel story" turned into fits of uncontrolled laughter. On Monday I thought that tears and a funk impeded my best laid plans, my plans never knew what hit them when the "sillies" came our way - but laughter led to learning and a whole lot of loving.

And today, well once again my best laid plans were pushed aside - it was an exciting day. For the past week and a half we've been feeding two little caterpillars and watching them grow. So this morning we woke to find that one of the chrysalis' had turned translucent and was ready to "burst". This transformation from chrysalis to butterfly happens so fast at this stage that last summer we missed the "bursting" of all 4 of our butterflies. So today, we took turns "chrysalis sitting" - literally we watched that thing intently for almost 3 hours (the kids took their jobs very seriously). Then, at 10:58am it happened - it really was one of the most amazing things to watch! Eden and I were holding hands and our hearts were nearly beating out of our chests - Karis and Justin watched for a minute, got bored and went back to playing. So, with my plans for the day put aside - an amazing day of learning happened. By dinner the butterflies wings had dried enough to set him free - we called the neighborhood kids and we all watched "Miguel" make his way to Mexico. (PS All our butterflies get Spanish names since they migrate to Mexico! We've had Dora, Diego, Jorge, Rico and now Miguel.)

Chyrsalis Sitting


10:58am It's a Boy!



Saying Good-bye ... a little sad to let go.


Tomorrow - I have some really great things planned for the day. Let's wait and see what happens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous of your kids! If I'm at home when the next one is born I'm running over to see it!
-Meghan

Anonymous said...

I love how that sort of thing happens in home schooling!! Learning about life, and about love is a regular routine around here...seems to me that I need to learn more about love!!
Susanne

Mrs. Breum said...

So cute! Love that picture of Justin!

Me and G

Me and G