... American Thanksgiving!
Didn't they used to tell teachers that? "Don't smile until Thanksgiving." In other words, be tough on the kids until Thanksgiving at which point you can start having a little fun with them.
We officially started our school year today. With a lot more confidence and a little more knowledge than previous years we actually started with a very good day - we even smiled a little! We worked hard from the moment we got up until around 2:15pm. Our new curriculum has us reading aloud and reading alone, drawing pictures and looking at maps, memorizing scripture and listening to catchy geography songs. Justin officially started with JK (pre-K for my American friends) and jumped in with both feet.
There is wise advice and not so wise advice - I think I'll ignore the "don't smile" advice. I kind of like my kids and I kind of like smiling with them. One smiling moment to share: we were talking about wild animals versus livestock and Karis was shocked to find out that although "ham" comes from a pig "hamburger" comes from a cow!
The house is tidy and I'm waiting for the neighbor girl to come babysit so that I can have two hours to run errands. It is so good to have routine again.
Didn't they used to tell teachers that? "Don't smile until Thanksgiving." In other words, be tough on the kids until Thanksgiving at which point you can start having a little fun with them.
We officially started our school year today. With a lot more confidence and a little more knowledge than previous years we actually started with a very good day - we even smiled a little! We worked hard from the moment we got up until around 2:15pm. Our new curriculum has us reading aloud and reading alone, drawing pictures and looking at maps, memorizing scripture and listening to catchy geography songs. Justin officially started with JK (pre-K for my American friends) and jumped in with both feet.
There is wise advice and not so wise advice - I think I'll ignore the "don't smile" advice. I kind of like my kids and I kind of like smiling with them. One smiling moment to share: we were talking about wild animals versus livestock and Karis was shocked to find out that although "ham" comes from a pig "hamburger" comes from a cow!
The house is tidy and I'm waiting for the neighbor girl to come babysit so that I can have two hours to run errands. It is so good to have routine again.
3 comments:
What SL core(s) are you using? I'm looking forward to hearing updates on what you think of it! I'm doing SL's pre-k (core B I think they call it now) with my 4yo this year. And The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (way too long a title!) - he is so squirmy when we sit down to read! So different from my little girl! :-) Fun times!
Hi Robin
Love to keep up with your homeschool experience. Emma started high school this year! At home of course. She loves it. She is beautiful and we have a wonderful relationship. Love you!
Hi Robin
Love to keep up with your homeschool experience. Emma started high school this year! At home of course. She loves it. She is beautiful and we have a wonderful relationship. Love you!
From Janey in Lenoir
Post a Comment