Last year we decided to go with the Suzuki method of piano teaching. It was a very good decision. The kids are encouraged to learn a love of music rather than to just read music; it's a family activity rather than an individual activity; and it fits in with our home school lifestyle.
But, as I sat with Karis for her practice time today I was once again frustrated. Everyday it's the same old thing. She sits down for practice. She starts to focus on the songs. She even plays a song or two. Then it happens - she looks up and there she is, crystal clear, plain as day, and she is 100% distracted. You see, my beautiful, shiny black piano morphs from musical instrument into mirror. She sees her own reflection and everything else fades away. She is so distracted by herself that she can't focus. She makes a face, checks her hair, sneeks in a little smile or two at herself.
It's a shame. I almost wish we had an old oak piano - not beautiful and unable to reflect back beauty. Don't get me wrong, I love beauty. I love pretty things, shiny things, lovely things. But I guess there are times when beauty distracts us from our purpose. A beautiful piano is useless unless someone knows how to play it. And even so, someone with the ability to play a beautiful piano is useless if they are continually distracted by their own self. It's purpose is the music, beautiful music. For now, I am thankful for my beautiful piano and I vow to play it more. And, unless I come up with a better idea, I may attempt to hide it's reflective quality with a sheet during practice time.

3 comments:
oh my - that is definitely what i would do too Karis! haha..."sneak a smile or two at herself" that made me laugh! oh practising...
That's hilarious! I remember the first time I played on a shiny piano - in concert - at a Suzuki festival - ! I could see my fingers clear as day reflected right back and it was really confusing.
Maybe you could create an art project... get an ivory or white or black cotton blanket and paint it with your book one songs, drape it over the piano...? : )
Rofl!!! What an entry!!! That is too funny...Karis is too cute!
Post a Comment