Sunday, November 30, 2008

Deck the Halls

Our halls are decked.
The tree is up, the wreath is hung, the lights are on, and the Christmas cat is in his place on the fireplace mantle with all the other "Christmas decorations the we love to hate". You know, the ceramic Santa playing a guitar, the tacky glass angel and the Santa shaped like a missel ... stuff we just can't bear to get rid of but don't know where to put. So this year we lumped them all together as a group of misfits. And you know what? Together they look good. Together they aren't so ugly. Together they have "synergy" - together they are greater than the sum it's parts. Crazy cross-eyed Santa and the Christmas cat now have a place in our home - and it is more festive because of them!

...

Another of our Christmas favorites is the Playmobile Nativity set.
It was beautiful to over hear Karis telling the Christmas story to Justin while they played. Then "the big sister" came in to join (or rather, over take) their playtime. Karis and Justin immediately objected to her participation in their play. To which Eden said, "Fine, then I'll just sit over here and be God, watching over it all". Karis' quick response, "Eden, there is only one God - and you aren't it!" Slam - put in her place by a little sister! I didn't say a word - I just walked away and snickered.



...

Our weekend was full of festive activities - A Christmas Carol play at our local community theatre, the lighting of Victoria park and Christmas carols downtown, and the Fagan Choir family Christmas concert (my dad's choir). Not even December and we are already feeling very festive. I am looking forward to a quiet, meaningful holiday.

1 comment:

Soph said...

I missed the lighting of the lights - it happened while I was at the Grand Theater watching the opener of "A Christmas Carol" (Which was amazing!) How was it? Skating in Victoria Park last Christmas definitely made it on my "Why move to London" list :)

Me and G

Me and G