Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Mate For Life
This morning as we sat down to breakfast Karis looked up to see a bird sitting on the branch of a tree in our yard. Ten minutes later he was still sitting there, still staring into our kitchen. We decided that he must be hungry, or maybe cold. I'm sure that our pancakes and eggs looked yummy to him.
George enters the room, curious about our conversation. He peaks out the window and states, "That's weird. That bird is a Mourning Dove. They mate for life. You don't usually see them sitting alone." Always the well-spring of useful (?) knowledge!
Our little friend did look lonely.
Upon further investigation we discovered that indeed there was another bird in the tree! But, her back was to our friend. They both looked lonely, very sad. Ahh ... said the kids, they are having a fight, they're arguing about something, she's not talking to him. Maybe ... maybe ... maybe ... (the stories got wild and crazy).
I grabbed my camera, silently opened the door to the porch, snapped one photo. And off they flew. Together.
Hopefully their lover's spat was short lived. They mate for life you know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me and G

2 comments:
Love it.
Robin - So strange, b/c I clicked on your page, as I so often do, and thought your post title was about Babe b/c I know how, even though we all feel great sadness today with her passing, there is a soul mate up there who is joyous at her arrival - that thought gives me comfort today, and I hope it does for all you :)
All my love to you and George and the team -
Cousin Meredith
Post a Comment