Sunday, July 19, 2009

Self Portrait

It's not easy finding good help these days. After a recent hair cut I wanted a picture or two of my styled "do". Maybe I wasn't paying enough - but between my husband and my kids we just didn't end up with a good picture of me.
So I took things into my own hands.
I attempted a self portrait.

Not an easy task mind you.
And not a successful task either.
I ended up with wrinkles & double chins. There were a few mug shots. One was just trying too hard. A few looked a little too happy. One looked way too sad. I couldn't get it framed right - I either looked headless or like a bobble-head. And the lighting was impossible without the use of a flash.
All-in-all I remained unsuccessful.

***
It got me thinking.

It really is hard to get a good picture of yourself. Hard to truly see yourself as you are. Hard to know how others see you.

I guess that's where a little "good help" comes in handy. "Good help" being the people who really know you and tell you how you are. People who are willing to give you an honest picture of who you are.

Sitting in church this morning I felt a little lost, a little like I did that night in front of the mirror trying to take my own picture. Our small group is taking the summer off. Our homeschool co-op is on summer break. A lot of people are gone on holidays or are out of town. I miss my "help". I'm craving a good bible study and some great conversation with friends. I realize how much I need accountability.

I realize that I'm not very good at self portraits.
Anyone want to come over for a photo shoot in the near future?

3 comments:

Steve Pye said...

Since you're looking for bible study, this week's study is brought to you by the letter C, the number 10, and is found in sequence starting here http://blog.mmplm.com/sp/ beginning on July 17th.

In the meantime... visit my wife :) she's probably looking for (d) All of the above.

Donna said...

You are so beautiful - inside and out!

Miss you,
Donna

Soph said...

I'll take some pictures of you!! :) Love the bangs. :) You look HOT!

Me and G

Me and G