Sunday, October 25, 2009

Our Local Public Library


PBS episodes of Arthur always end with the encouragement to "visit your local public library". I knew the power (in this case positive power) of advertising when I heard Eden at two years old asking if we could "visit our local public library someday". We are now huge supporters of our local library - literally, we support the library with overdue fines. But hey - when you have over 30 books out at any given time your bound to forget one or two on return day!

As homeschoolers we've become library hoppers - you know, like church hoppers, only we like to hop libraries. One week we're downtown, the next at Sherwood, maybe we'll try Masonville and every once in awhile we go crazy and venture out to Byron (who says homeschoolers don't live on the wild side?).

As library hoppers we discover all the fun contests and activities our local libraries have to offer. Last week we noticed a sign for a poster contest at Masonville Libary - it was called "What a Character!". The kids had to design a poster about a character from a book. They were divided into age groups and prizes were to be awarded accordingly. After 3 or 4 rough drafts they proudly turned in their finished copies and anxiously awaited the announcement.

Wouldn't you know it - we've got two winners in our house! They each received a book and a gift card for Chapters. Eden suspects that they were the only entrants - Karis believes there were hundreds of others who entered and they were just the best of the best. Who knows ... either way they enjoyed the winners reception, a picture with the librarian and they now have a $5 gift card burning a hole in their pockets.

As a side note a few years ago I won $50 in an essay contest at our local library in Lenoir. The topic was, "Why I Love the Library". If I had the essay to write over I would add a line about the thrill of entering (and winning!) contests at our local public library.

Long live the library!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Me and G

Me and G