Blah - that's what I say to that. Yes, I actually talk to the TV. Blah - take five minutes, comb your hair, wash your face, tidy your house. It's really not that much work.
So last night I took my own advice. I got the kids in bed. I "drew" a bath (no Amelia Bedelia - not with pencil and paper!). I poured a cup of tea. I simply took a bath. Following my bath I noticed the sorry state of my half polished toes and decided I should give myself a pedicure. Look at me - taking care of me! I was kind of proud of myself.
Until ....
Until my dear, supportive husband came in, saw me lounging (I so wish I had bon-bons in my hand and was watching soap operas when he came in!) and he said (in jest of course), "You mean to tell me that while I made lunches, did two loads of laundry and tidied the kitchen you were up here giving yourself a pedicure?" How dare I take care of me! (in jest, in jest!) Someone send the poor boy to sensitivity training ... please!
It gets better ...
This morning my ever loving middle child woke up and first words out of her mouth were, "Did you take in my pants mom?"
My reply, "Sorry sweety, I didn't get around to sewing last night. I'll do it today."
A few minutes later I decide to show off my cute toe nails. (mistake)
My dear, sweet middle child looks at me quizzically, "Do you mean to tell me that you had time to give yourself a pedicure but you didn't have time to take in my pants?" (not in jest, I assure you, not in jest but I did see a twinkle in her eye as she spoke it!) Maybe she and her daddy should go to that sensitivity class together!
I have total sympathy for the woman who says she's always taking care of others and never has time for herself. But I refuse to be that woman. From this day forward I will wear polished toes with pride! I will ...
And as for that husband and daughter of mine. They may have some lessons to learn - but I still love them deeply from the bottom of my heart. (Oh and I am very thankful that the laundry is done, lunches were made and the kitchen tidied.)
1 comment:
I'll go to sensitivity training when you take "home-ec!" Hey, do they still make kids take home-ec? I loved that class. We basically made cookies.
Post a Comment