Today you get two posts in one.
I'm combining a "true confessions" post with a "what's cooking" post - it's Cooking Confessions. True confessions in the kitchen.
This whole confession thing feels good. Try out and let me know what you think!
Confession #1
I don't like salad.
I know I should like salad.
I eat it because I think I should.
But it takes so long to chew and I'm just not patient enough to chew that much for such a little bit of food energy.
Other people claim that they feel so good after eating a salad. Not me. My stomach just feels yucky (good descriptive word isn't it - yucky!). I'll tell myself that I'm allergic to salad. That's it - I've got an allergy.
Salads that I do like include Taco Salad and Greek Salad with no lettuce.
Salads that I don't like, everything with lettuce.
Confession #2
I give the kids Aunt Jemima syrup. George and I use the real maple syrup.
Please tell me that someone else does this. Please ... there's got to be another mom out there who knows that their kids don't have a discerning enough pallet to appreciate the real deal. Anyone with me on this one?
Confession #3
Ultimate comfort food for me is this easy-peasy Tomato Veggie Soup.
It's embarrassingly easy but remarkably yummy.
Brown some ground beef
Add some frozen veggies
Dump in a large can/bottle of tomato juice
Serve with 50% off day old buns from the grocery store
With my confessions out of the way, here's what's on the menu this week.
Monday
Pad Thai left-overs for the grown-ups
Mac and Cheese for the kids (recipe on the side-bar)
Tuesday
Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner
Pumpkin Pancakes and Granola Pancakes
Smoothies
and of course Bacon
Wednesday
Steak and Cheese Pie (served as beef stew - without the topping)
Dinner Rolls courtesy of PW
Thursday
Coconut Curry Fish with Rice and Peas
Friday
Nachos and Wings
Saturday
Left-overs (I think)
6 comments:
My Mom did the same thing growing up with the maple syrup and the sad thing is I actually like Aunt Jemima now better than the real stuff. So sad, I know especially because I am a cook of discriminating taste. I just thought I would share how it can back fire. :)
I don't think I've ever bought Aunt Jemima syrup... I don't even think my parents did... real maple all the way! :) (too bad it's so darn expensive...but, like REAL orange juice, it's an expense I consider mandatory! hehe!)
I agree with you 100% Soph! Real OJ all the way! If only maple syrup were just a little cheap ...
Completely agree with you on the salad thing. I need about one/week to feel OK but it's winter, seriously. Who wants cold chewy bland stuff? I used to make lettuce-less salads (they keep a lot longer in the fridge - almost a week). Plus I think we OD's on salads during my childhood...
With your bacon kick, try frying up some bacon, onions, and mushrooms together and throwing it on some spinach. (Good with mango dressing). Warm salads are a good compromise.
I'm huge on soups in the winter (especially now that I'm good at making my own). Finally made Chicken Mulligitawny today. Yay..
My kids never liked REAL syrup, so I have served them AJ. The youngest is now almost 15 and her tastes are getting more sophisticated in many ways. She will use real syrup (from Fort Rose - which opens their sugar bush to the public again in 2 weeks!, but still prefers AJ!! The older 2 - still AJ eaters !!!
-Kristine
I think you should make these Confessions posts into a blog carnival...I might be brave enough to join. :)
I am with you on the Maple syrup..we always have the real deal in the house because I cannot stand the fake stuff but its the other stuff that my kids get!
Come on, the real thing is a fortune, and the amount that they put on..forget about it!
Post a Comment