Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mean Girls

I need to rant a minute ... bear with me.
Kids are mean.
Even the sweetest of kids are mean.
It makes me sick in my gut to see my kids get hurt.
It makes me even sicker when it's my kids who do the hurting.
None of us are exempt.

Two unexpected incidents of meanness yesterday afternoon:
1) I saw a girl offer my son the end of her ice cream cone. When he said "Sure I'll have it.", she dropped it on the ground and stepped on it. Really? That's just cruel. Or is it kids experimenting with humor?, kids trying to figure out what's funny, what's a joke?

2) My daughter was in charge of snack for soccer. She was thrilled to be the bearer of snacks - picked out a case of ice cream sandwiches, enough for seconds! But, for some reason she seemed to lack energy in the game and was grumpy afterwards. When we asked her about it she was honest. She said that the girls were upset with her because there weren't any ice cubes in the cooler. (We don't have an ice cube maker so we put an ice pack in instead). Apparently the girls like to suck on ice cubes during the game - who knew?. Apparently this was cause enough to ostracize a teammate.

Makes me sick.
Makes me so sad.
Makes me wonder how the parents of kids who are bullied constantly live each day, and how those kids wake up every morning anticipating the meanness.
Makes me want to LOVE ON my kids so much that they are confident in the fact that they are worthwhile and lovable.

I don't get it ...
I know mean people exist, I just don't like it.
And I won't get used to it.

Romans 12
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.
Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.
Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.
Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,”says the Lord.
On the contrary:
“If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.”
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

1 comment:

bjoycefamily said...

I hear you! We are really, really trying to pray more here and be THANKFUL (or grateful!). Also we may be starting a CCC box (pay funds every time we criticize, condemn, or complain) so that WE aren't the mean ones.

Me and G

Me and G