It's been a particularly noisy day.
Laughter.
Running.
Screams.
Shouts.
Lots and lots of talking.
My head hurts. My ears are ringing.
So now supper is ready. George and the kids are in the yard. And besides the sound of Sarah Mclachlin singing "Silence" (irony at it's best), it is quiet.
Sometimes I long for 15 minutes of silence. Gone are the questions. Gone are the kid jokes (really not funny, but I need to laugh). Gone are the sounds of kids playing and fighting. Gone are the endless stories. Silence.
But honestly 15 minutes of silence is all I want. I would miss the questions. I would miss the jokes. I would miss the sounds of kids at play. I would miss the stories.
In the midst of the noise of today there were some nuggets that brought me joy, laughter and hope.
Let me share a few of those nuggets.
In our attempt to finish up the school year the kids each have a list of things to get done before June 18. If complete by that date they will get to pick out a new shirt from Aeropastle (some call it bribery, I call it motivation).
My eldest child is both internally and extrenally motivated. She works hard and can at times be very hard on herself. So this morning as we discussed our plan for the day I mentioned that we were going to go to the library in the afternoon. She responded very quickly, "I think I'll stay home. I have lots of work to do. If I go to the library I'll only get tempted." Oh to know yourself so well at such a young age, and to be so self-discplined. I could learn a thing or two from that girl.
***
Heading to the library I overhear Karis ask Justin, "What do you like better Disney World or me?" To which Justin replied, "Disney, of course." This lead Karis to the verge of tears, "How could he like Disney more than me?" To which I simply said, "You shouldn't have asked the question."
Stopped into Mac Milk (corner store/post office) to mail out some packages. Karis and Justin joined me for the errand. They were given dire warning not to ask for anything in the store. They were very obedient. But as I was paying my postage I heard them playing a little game, "If I could get anything in the store I would get ...". Cute. Until I heard, "If I could get anything in the store I would get EVERYthing, EXCEPT those inappropriate magazines that kids can't look at and adults probably shouldn't look at either."
Sheesh ... can't even mail a package without being bombarded with "inappropriate" images. Good thing they are learning discernment. Too bad that discernment is necessary. (BTW the magazines they saw were People and some fashion mags, not anything dirty - but even the covers of those can be somewhat disturbing).
***
So yes, again today I choose noise over silence. I believe for today it's the better choice. I'm thankful for it.

2 comments:
And now you speak a timely word to me. Yes, it was an unsilent day around here too. But Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for every voice in my house, as they help me to see the work the Lord is doing (or still needs to do!) in each of their hearts. Loved this post, Robin.
I so enjoyed this post as well. Thank you for sharing. You are such a beautiful mom -- wish we could "mother" closer together. Your couple of years on me would be so HELPFUL :). I love you, woman. Thanks for mentoring me still - miles away.
Post a Comment