Monday, September 20, 2010

How To Stretch A Dollar ... Butternut Squash Edition

Mums on the front porch.
Pumpkin spice candle burning in the living room.
Farm fresh apples piled high in a bowl in the kitchen.
It's like Fall just puked all over our house. OK maybe not puked ... wrong word choice, sorry.
It's like the Fall fairy just waved her magic wand and *poof* our house was filled with autumny goodness. That's better.

Autumny goodness.
At the top of the autumny goodness list (much to the disgust of my dear friend Betty) is Butternut Squash. Yep, butternut squash, it kind of reminds me of me ... a little hard to get through the hard outer skin, once you get in you need to scoop out a bunch of goopy crap, but if you're patient and you know what to do with it you'll find it's kind of sweet and full of all kinds of things that are good for you.
OK - this is what I get for blogging train of thought style. You never know what's going to come out. Enough psychology.
On to the recipes.

Butternut Squash - went to the market last Saturday and picked up a somewhat large squash for 75cents. Let me tell you how much yummy fall goodness we got out of that 75cent squash.

Day 1 (Monday): 1/2 the squash
- followed the recipe exactly except I omitted the wine
- served with a loaf of fresh bread
- shocked that everyone loved it!

Day 2 (Thursday): 1/4 the squash
- I was skeptical of this one, but since I had bread dough in the fridge and rosemary in the garden I decided to give it a shot.
- definitely on the menu for next week ... loved every bite

Day 3 (following Monday): 1/4 the squash
- served it with a piece of rainbow trout on the side
- perfect fall salad and super easy


There's no denying ... Autumn is here. Seroiusly, best time of the year for cooking. We're jumping in with both feet. Tomorrow ... apple crisp. I think maybe we'll have apple crisp for breakfast, lunch AND dinner!


2 comments:

kendra! said...

Look at you, you recessionista!

I've made a similar pizza inspired by one I had at a veggie restaurant. The squash was the sauce, then it was topped w/ carmelized onions and mozzarella. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Heather said...

Did your kids eat the pizza too? And by kids I mean E. :) Sounds amazing!

Me and G

Me and G