Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Who Cares? AKA Stumpt the Chump

We had one of "those" days on the home school front.
A little fighting.
A lot of distractions.
A bunch of complaining.
A whole lot of mommy stopping everything for a moment of prayer.

It was one of those days when my son turns in something like this for Language Lessons:



Notice the "I Don't care" boldly written in the top right corner.

It was one of those days.  I was all excited about a lesson on the War of 1812 and how Americans and Canadians retell the story different from one another.  I thought it was fascinating ...  I thought.

I then noticed one child (who shall remain nameless - hazard a guess if you wish) who was obviously zoning out and not in awe of my dramatic retelling of the tale.

I grabbed her attention and said, "Child-who-shall-remain-nameless are you paying attention?"
Child: "Yes mom ... of course."
Mom: "OK, then when was the War of 1812." (maybe humour will bring her back - *sigh* but alas the joke was on me, as you shall see)
Child: "Umm, hmmm, around 19 ... no, around 1809?"

Oh dear.  I tell these stories with a bit of a smile on my face.  I smile because dang it they are funny - when I take a step back from being the mom and the teacher, it is funny.  I smile because if I don't I might cry.  It keeps me humble.  It keeps me working hard.  It keeps me loving these crazy little chittlins that I call mine.

I do care.
And someday they will realize just how much I really do care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

max and i cracked up at what justin wrote on his language lesson!!
kori

Anonymous said...

Where have you gone?

Me and G

Me and G