For eight years I've known that I need to change my underwear.
For eight years I've put it off.
To be honest, I've put off changing my bra and socks as well.
I know...
TMI bells are ringing all over the place, warning lights are flashing, parental controls are blocking this post due to the use of the word bra.
Don't worry though - I'm not going there.
Eight years ago we lived in the furniture capital of North America and got hooked up with some amazing deals on furniture. We had "grown-up" furniture and never had to go through an IKEA phase to get there.
We paid a dime, sang a song and got this dresser. Well actually, we bought two of this dresser - his and hers.
I proceeded to fill "hers" with all my undergarments and other necessisities.
After the first day I realized that I made a mistake.
Here's how I filled the drawers:
Logically, in my crazy little mind, that order made no sense. For four years I would inevitably pull open the socks drawer when looking for my underwear and I'd look for socks in the bra drawer.
I vowed that when we moved I'd fix the order of the drawers.
We moved. To my surprise the movers informed me that we didn't need to unload the drawers. "Just leave them as they are, we'll move it as it is", they said. OK - less work. I'm cool with that.
Four more years of pulling open wrong drawers EVERY day.
Seriously, I am not exaggerating. Every day I looked for bras and found underwear.
After teaching grade 1 math for three years I am now pretty good at adding, I know 4 + 4 = 8. Eight years of stupid frustration.
Here's where I finally get to the point of this post.
Change.
What would it take to change the drawers?
It's a simple little solution, isn't it?
Switch the drawers.
Problem solved.
But I never did it. Never took the time I needed to make a simple change.
For eight years I knew the solution.
For eight years I did nothing except say quiet little curses (not bad ones!) in my head when I couldn't find what I was looking for.
This weekend I changed my underwear.
It may not make any sense to you, but in my insanely logical little mind I've always thought that I should have the drawers in the order I would put the items on my body from the top to the bottom. Bra then underwear then socks.
Do you know how long it took me to make this change?
20 minutes.
Incredibly simple.
Seriously, 20 minutes, that's it.
How many other "simple" changes do I avoid and thereby cause unnecessary stress in my life?
Stop eating so much candy?
Clean out the freezer?
Go to the gym?
Read the Bible a few more minutes every morning?
Most of the time change isn't really that hard.
I just need to do it.
Take a few minutes and make the change happen.
As I write this I have an unstoppable urge to stand on a chair give a tribute to MJ himself and sing "Man in the Mirror" at the top of my lungs.
So, here you go. Sing along if you want.
I'm Gonna Make A Change,
For Once In My Life
It's Gonna Feel Real Good,
Gonna Make A Difference
Gonna Make It Right . . .
I'm Starting With The Man In
The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change
His Ways
And No Message Could Have
Been Any Clearer
If You Wanna Make The World
A Better Place
Take A Look At Yourself, And
Then Make A Change
I've Got To Make That Change,
Today!



No comments:
Post a Comment