Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pulling the Mom Card

I don't do it very often but I did it today.
I pulled the mom card.
"I'm the mom.  I decide."

They've boycotted couscous and quinoa, they've rebelled against my spaghetti (too many unnecessary  veggies!), they say tuna melts stink, and they claim my oatmeal is too lumpy.  Other than that the recipe book is an open book ... I'm a free bird to try what I like.  Nine out of ten nights I get a thumbs up.  It's a pretty good gig.

But today I pulled the mom card.
I know they don't like tuna melts, and you know they are right, they stink.  But I had a hankerin' that just wouldn't give up.
So out came the mom card.  "I'm the mom.  I decide."


Tuna melts it was.
I hardly heard a complaint - but I saw it in their eyes and they couldn't hide their disappointment when they said, "Is this what we're having for lunch?"
Yep.
And it was good.
It was very good.
It might be a while before I pull the card again.  So while they silently picked away at lunch I thoroughly enjoyed two ... mmm? ... make that three scrumptious tuna melts.

I think I'd be pressing my luck if I put couscous on the menu tomorrow.  Maybe next week.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Yeah, I'm with the kids on this one... :)

Anonymous said...

I actually love tuna melts.

The Nangus People said...

how can you NOT like quinoa?

It tastes CURLY, for goodness sake.

Shame on you, children.

Me and G

Me and G