I get the question weekly: "What does a day of homeschooling look like?"
Really, it's kind of like asking a fish what water looks like. Homeschooling has so become the way of life for our family that it's hard to imagine our home outside of schooling.
But I am in tune enough with culture to know that we're a little left of normal.
So today I'm offering you a peek into our day (or days, all these photos were taken in the last week or so).
A little "photo puke" on the blog ... lots of photos, less words.
Spring is taunting us with it's occasional warm winds and flirting sunshine.
We're checking out the tree buds and serving our fine feathered friends a meal or two!
Our day typically starts with AWANA homework and verses. Our day does NOT typically start with hats on - but that's a battle I don't always have energy to fight!
Field trip to the University Observatory with a number of homeschool families - unfortunately the clouds obscured our view but it was very informative (and fun!).
I found this (above) on the kitchen counter: two bamboo skewers taped to a tiny coffee spoon. Despite my questioning, I still have no clear answer as to it's intended purpose. Note to self: no more lessons on inventions.
After pulling two teeth in one day he decided it would be appropriate to spend quiet time reading "The Tooth Book" (plus two other Dr. Seuss books - we're on a Dr. Seuss kick right now!).
Taught the girls how to make bread. I have to say they nailed it the first time around! No help from mom and it was perfect. I did hear Karis say to Justin, "You better like that bread, I had to knead it until my hands felt like they were going to fall off!"
A little Montessori grammar lesson.
Love, love, love this tool.
Cut up a bunch of sentence strips of differing difficulty and away you go. A lesson good for ALL age levels (even mom!). I love lessons that engage all three at the same time.
Check it out ... the preposition piece was UNDER the chair!
I have to admit, sometimes I come up with projects solely for the purpose of keeping them busy. This was one of them. I needed an activity that would occupy two kids for at least an hour. Ta-da ... paint the planets. And the verdict: they exceeded my expectations. Not only did it keep them busy, but they did an amazing job, they enjoyed themselves and each other, AND they learned something about the planets in the process. All around it was a great project.
Lego. Lego is my go to babysitter for my six (almost seven!) year old. We are all happy when Lego is in the picture. And I learned the lesson early to take photos of all completed projects for two reasons:
1) It might break and then you can always look at the picture to recreate it.
2) You don't necessarily want to keep it forever, but it is very difficult to take apart something that you have put your heart, soul and time into creating. Take a picture and the image of the creation lasts forever.
Check out Bazooka-Head. Aptly named since he has a bazooka stuck to his head.
A few images of our day. Obviously I didn't include the math, spelling and language arts workbooks (boring). Computer time - not worthy of a photo. Oh, and I totally forgot about piano, violin and clarinet ... oops, that certainly is a big part of the day.
It's a glimpse, a snapshot, a quick-pic into a few moments of our day. But as with any home, every day is different. I'm eager to see what tomorrow brings!













2 comments:
Hey you!
You are doing such a wonderful job! I love the montessori tool. Where did you buy it? LOVE!!!!
thanks for sharing , can i join your home school?? i may have two little ones straggling behind me.. lol
Post a Comment