Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Long Story Short

Alternative title: Why I Should Probably Get A Job

This post is a long time coming, proceeded by hours of thought, prayer, discussion, and comtemplation.  Yet, I will make the explanation short, sweet, and simple.

After six years of full-time homeschooling it's time for Saylor School to take a sebtatical.  We've always said that homeschooling for us was "one year at a time, one kid at a time"- maybe we should have added "one mom at a time" 'cause this mama is tired.  

So, off we went to our neighbourhood public school where we enrolled Karis and Justin in grades 3 and 6 for next year.  Eden, on the other hand, will be going to a french immersion school that takes about 30 french newbies into their program for grades 7 and 8.

Now, for any of you concerned about my "innocent unsocialized" homeschoolers entering the daunting halls of the public schools let me tell you a tale.  This is no tall tale, no exageration, 100% truth telling here.  Outside of Sunday School, my dear Karis has never spent a day in school in her life.  So we arranged to have a tour of her new school.  Mind you, this is a very large school with over 800 students attending K-8, so this was not a short tour.  It became apparent during the tour that Karis was fixated on seeing a Smart Board in action - word on the street had it that Smart Boards are all the rage, and she had to finally see one with her own two eyes.  Our tour guide consented to appease her desire to see the Smart Board, she walked us into a classroom full of 5th grade students, all eyes were on us.  She pointed out the Smart Board and asked if Karis wanted to try it out.  In true Karis form, she marched to the front of the class, picked up the digital pen, and in very, VERY large words wrote "KARIS WAS HERE!"  She turned, gave a cute smile to the onlooking class of children, and confidently walked out of the classroom.  I think she'll do just fine.

As I promised, short and sweet.  Please know that this decision was not made without tears and a lot of soul searching.

So what's a homeschool mom to do when she no longer homeschools?
In past years my summers have been full of curriculum planning.  Books and school supplies covered every crevice of my home; I busied myself with calendars and teaching plans while the kids spent their time at day camps throughout the city.

Welcome to week one of kids in camp and mom-who-is-no-longer-needing-to-plan-curriculum at home trying to figure out what to do with her time.

First things first:

#1.  Created weekly cleaning schedule (ex bathrooms Monday, basement Tuesday, sheets Friday).
#2.  Enroute to "Yummy Mommy Land", planned out daily classes at the gym.
#3.  Log in to Pinterest and decide to redecorate the main floor.
#4.  Husband convinces me that Pinterest + time = budget - money.
#5.  A moment of reflection reminds me that I have not been without work since 1985 when I was 14 and my neighbour knocked on my door to tell me that God told her in a dream that she should hire me to be a waitress at her Pizza Inn restaurant.  You can't turn that down!
#6.  Begin writing resume.

For those wanting visual proof for #3, here you go:
When asked, I say "Pinterest made me do it."

Finally hung the bird art I created (via Pinterest idea).  

Above small red couch in living room, spray painted brass frames and candle holders.

Trip to IKEA, brought home the Picaso print.

My Jim Elston collection, one on left is a print, on the right is an original.

Changed frame pics for ones from trip to Denver, Chicago and Michigan.  

Pics from Denver and Chicago.

Family "central":  Rules, calendar, what's for dinner, groceries, and chores.

Upclose of chores.  Did this a few months ago, I'll write a detailed post on it later.

To those who have become dear friends through homeschooling, I hope our paths continue to cross.  To those who have supported me and listened to my heart cry throughout this time of decision making, thank you.  To those of you who may have a word of advice for my future career path, please speak up - I'm listening.  To those of you who are very close to us but we forgot to tell you about this big decision, a heartfelt sorry.

And on that note, I'm signing off.
I will be back.
I have my writing mojo back!

2 comments:

The Grammarian said...

Courageous decision and no doubt made prayerfully, Mama Robin! I am excited for all of you and the next chapter you will be writing. Teaching university full-time this past year has taught me that I desperately need my summers off to not be thinking too heavily on formal school. Just enjoying my children and wearing the Mama hat was important for me. Blessings upon your home.
P.S. I always say Pinterest made me do it :)

Kelly said...

Oh, excellent Ikea purchases. You must have had a great personal shopper helping you make your purchases. What did George think, and did you sell anything on Kijiji?

Me and G

Me and G