I've mentioned in previous blogs that I try to be pretty tuned in to the "phases" my kids go through. So, over the past few months it has been interesting to watch the girls (mostly Eden) play "CLUB" - I thought it was just a phase. It started as a "Spy Club", moved into a "Girl's Club" and has recently evolved into an elaborate club complete with RULES, "things to do", event planning, and even DUEs (10% of each member's allowance!).
So, here's my question ... what makes a bunch of little girls want to spend their summer vacation in a club - with rules, with planned activities, with dues??? I wonder if we all have an innate desire to "BELONG", to be a part of something bigger than just "me", to see ourselves in community. I know - too much thought about a club that will probably dissolve before the end of July - but, I wonder ...
This brings me then to my own CLUBS ... because, you know the kids learn from watching us. I have my Cooking Club, my Dinner Club, and my Book Club - (not to mention church related "clubs"). I too need to feel a part of something bigger than me, I too need to belong, I too need clubs. I am encouraged, I am challenged and I am loved by those in my clubs; we have fun together, we cry together, we think together, we work together, we indulge together (in good food!!). We are made for community - I am so thankful for a God that made us to be relational people that crave connections. I am so thankful for my clubs.
A few side notes:
1) The "crumpled" effect on the "Rules for Eden's Bedroom" is not artistic effect - she was very upset when a babysitter smiled when reading the rules, apparently they are not funny! The sheet ended up in the garbage but was quickly returned to the door.
2) Yes, one of the rules does read "You can only come in if you can spell your mom's last name [maiden name]." With a maiden name like "Tigchelaar" that effectively excludes little sisters!
3) My book club is OPEN to anyone and everyone who wants to join us. Here's some info on the club:
Here's the deal with book club:
who: whoever - forward this email on to friends of just take your friends with you, this group will NEVER be a closed group
when: 1st Thursday of the month (regardless of holidays)
time: 8pm
where: the plan is to meet at the Saylors - in order to have a consistent place to meet and never a question of where we are meeting
what: books (ha!) ... the purpose is to gather to talk about the book we've read, BUT if you happened to not read the book we'd still love your company you just have to follow THE RULE (the only rule of book club!), if you did not read the book you must bring something chocolate (or other snack) OR a bottle of wine (or other beverage) ... I put in my request for dark chocolate and red wine!
Our first book is The Birth House by Amy McKay. Let's just say that I bought the book on Friday night and I am so hooked that I got up early Saturday morning just to read! I will be done with it in about a week or so if someone wants dibs on borrowing it.
Here are some suggestions that we came up with for future books:
Fall On Your Knees by Anne Marie McDonald
After Helen by Paul Cavanaugh
Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Stanley Park by Timothy Taylor
Natasha and Other Stories by David Bezmozigis
Lullabies for Little Criminals by Heather O'Neill
Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam
The Memory Keepers Daughter
A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews
Please join us July 5 at 8pm at my house!

2 comments:
Madison's been doing a club, too! So funny.
And I tagged you for a meme...
Loved seeing the kids. Miss you
Janey and Emma
Post a Comment