Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Only Good Thing About Moving Is ...

... BOXES!!
Word for word quote from Eden this week ... "The only good thing about moving is BOXES!" Followed by "Madison and Tyler are SO lucky!"
We still have a few boxes kicking around the garage, saved for weeks like this past one. Times where I want to scrapbook and prepare for the coming school year and therefore need activities to occupy my three little darlings.
If these boxes could talk ... the stories they'd tell. As I pulled the boxes out of the garage the writing on them brought back floods of memories. Memories of the Hinmans quickly unpacking boxes just to hand them down the street to us so that we could fill them. Memories of movers stacking the boxes in a semi on a hot May day in North Carolina. Memories of our garage here in London lined from floor to ceiling with boxes (and me thinking "how in the world are we going to fit all this STUFF in this house?").


The boxes are now unpacked, our STUFF has found its place in our new home, and the few remaining boxes have new job descriptions ...


... tunnels for train tracks, ramps for cars,
... play houses for little girls & their dolls
(complete with doors, handles, windows and sky lights!),
... and as we speak they are creating an obstacle course with the boxes! In the creative hands of these little people three small boxes have been many things and have had many purposes - I can't wait to see what else they become.
So, it got me thinking about the different "roles" I play at different times in my life. I have been a student, a counsellor, an advisor, a campus minister - I am a mom, a wife, a teacher, an artist (of sorts), a church planter's partner. Different roles at different times, and sometimes different roles in different days. Like those boxes in the hands of creative children, I trust my life to the hands of a God who is infinitely more creative than I am - I can't wait to see what else God has in store for me.

1 comment:

Mrs. Breum said...

Neat post, R. Love the pics! Wish M, T and J were there to play w/ E, K, and J!!!

Me and G

Me and G