Tuesday, September 18, 2007
TRY Recycling ... A Learning Experience
A few days ago I overheard another homeschool mom off-handedly comment: "I don't homeschool for the kids, I homeschool for ME - I learn SO much through homeschooling!" I know that her comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek but somedays there is a lot of truth to that comment.
Today I learned a lot. My sister Heather is visiting from Alberta, so she and I took Eden and Karis and joined around 10 other homeschool families for a fieldtrip to the TRY recycling plant. I have to admit that I really didn't know what TRY was, I just thought it would be a cool thing to do. But it was absolutely amazing. I won't bore you with the details except to say that seeing an operation like that makes me totally rethink my "consumeristic" tendancies. Look at the pictures - piles of constuction and household waste waiting to be reused.
So, I learned a lot. The kids liked hanging with their friends, watching the big machines and playing at the EcoPark (super-cool!). I'm sure that seeing the mounds of waste had some kind of impact on them - maybe changed a little about the way they think and act - but mostly they had fun and I'm glad that we were able to make learning (for me and for them) enjoyable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me and G
No comments:
Post a Comment