Thursday, November 15, 2007

Back To Square One


A very big (sarcastic) thanks goes out to Mr. Potato Head for seriously confusing my child.

Here's the story: A few nights ago I was teaching Karis how to peel potatoes - fun, productive, useful.

As she is taking the "eyes" out of her potato she asks (very seriously mind you), "What was a potato?"

"Pardon me?" I reply - my curiosity peaked.

Her question again, "What animal does a potato come from? Not a pig, I know that - ham comes from pigs!"

I bite my tongue to keep from laughing - and go on to explain "animal, mineral and vegetable".

Later that night. We're playing Pictionary and after the timer runs out Karis gets frustrated that Eden has not been able guess the answer to the picture she is drawing. So she starts giving verbal clues: "You know, it's a book that mommy and daddy read every morning. It's for adults." Oh - THE BIBLE.

Huh?? The bible "a book for adults"?

What happened here? Have I totally missed the basics. Did I forget to mention that when we read the "children's Bible" it's still the BIBLE, when we look up verses on the computer it's still the BIBLE, and when we read stories from a devotional the verses are still the BIBLE?

I guess I forgot the basics. In the midst of all the science terms, spelling words, math equations and cooking techniques I overlooked square one.
The Bible is God's word written for EVERYone, and there's a difference between animal, mineral and vegetable - pretty basic.
So often I get wrapped up in the busy-ness and excitement of the day-to-day that I forget square one. But, you can't get very far without square one. So tomorrow we're back to the basics - we'll remind ourselves of square one. And then, we'll move on - but always reminding ourselves of square one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh. I'm sure I gave my parents heaps of humbling moments like those. Though mine were out of clear ignorance and not out of confusion. "Do the bunnies on the truck's mud flaps mean that's where the bunnies ride in the truck?"

Another back to basics topic - "peaked my interest" versus "piqued my interest." Discuss.

Meghan said...

What animal does a potato come from? I love it - and I love that she knew that it wasnt' from a pig...oh Karis. Seriously though, that story just made my afternoon - gave me a little laugh whilst being stressed out over school - gotta have a bit of perspective ;)

Robin Saylor said...

So Kendra - you want to discuss "peaked" versus "piqued", hmmm. Tell me if I'm wrong but "peaked" I take as "raised my curiousity" and "piqued" has negative connotations. What's your thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Have to say that I can't contribute any kind of facts to the discourse, but I think that piqued has a fairly neutral connotation when used w/ curiosity, but that in the "back to basics" theme, I think that piqued has been traded for peaked because "piqued" is often used in the negative sense...and, plus, peaked is easier to spell :)

Anonymous said...

OH my goodness Robin...that is so funny, and so humbling...I think that I need to get to the basics at times too...kids, they are priceless!! Thanks for sharing, I had a good laugh!!
Susanne

Me and G

Me and G