
So, I guess I'm not as nice as I look.
Take a peak at what my friend Meghan had to say about me:
For some reason competitive Scrabble brings out the best/worst in me. As I think about it, I realize that competition in general brings out what I hope is the best in me. Competition motivates me. Competition pushes me. Competition challenges me.
An "across the fence" conversation with my dear neighbor Megan (not the "Scrabble-buddy" Meghan mentioned above!) got me thinking about motivation. We want our children to be "internally motivated" but on some levels I am oh so externally motivated.
Case in point: I love to scrapbook. I am very creative. I thoroughly enjoy the creative process. But, I find that lately I do not scrapbook unless I am doing so for a competition or with a group of other scrapbookers. This is external motivation. Competition is the external motivation that I need in order to really do my best.
I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post - maybe it's my head cold clouding my judgement and my writing ability. Maybe I just want to offer you a glimpse inside this currently-snot-filled head of mine.
An "across the fence" conversation with my dear neighbor Megan (not the "Scrabble-buddy" Meghan mentioned above!) got me thinking about motivation. We want our children to be "internally motivated" but on some levels I am oh so externally motivated.
Case in point: I love to scrapbook. I am very creative. I thoroughly enjoy the creative process. But, I find that lately I do not scrapbook unless I am doing so for a competition or with a group of other scrapbookers. This is external motivation. Competition is the external motivation that I need in order to really do my best.
I'm not really sure where I'm going with this post - maybe it's my head cold clouding my judgement and my writing ability. Maybe I just want to offer you a glimpse inside this currently-snot-filled head of mine.
I'm putting it out there - I'm a competitive, externally motivated, word shark who's out for the kill.
Watch out! I've got my Scrabble board set up ... join me if you dare.
Watch out! I've got my Scrabble board set up ... join me if you dare.
2 comments:
I wouldn't dare playing scrabble with you. I even refused to play with my brother who loves scrabble. If I play with him, the only rule I have is that he put down the words I know and that makes the game more fair and I still even lost. But if you ever have Rummy Q board game set up, I'll dare you.
hahaa, I love it! I think I can share the competition piece with you...want to compete with me to complete my thesis?
We need another scrabble date with the three of us. I smell a girls night taking shape...
Post a Comment