Thursday, June 19, 2008

Robin and Rachel Plus Six


Eighteen years ago Calvin College Residence Life department stuck us together as suite-mates.
We've been stuck together ever since.

Nothing can seperate "Rachel and Robin" ... we have visited each other in Rochester, St Catharines, Maine, Boston, Pasadena, San Fransisco, Toledo, North Carolina, Pittsburgh, Beaver Falls, Ann Arbor, Naples, London and a million place in between. We've spent many dollars on long distance phone calls and even more dollars on plane tickets and gas. The most we've gone is two years without seeing each other, but it doesn't take long to get familiar and back to good ole' "Robin and Rachel". We've laughed and we've cried; we've spent hours discussing decorating ideas and career decisions; we've talked theology and parenting; we've had many, many, many cups of coffee together (coffee together over Skype is actually fun!!). It is so good to have a best friend.

Is is crazy to be best friends when you hardly see each other? When you're not there for the day-to-day events of life? When sometimes you neglect phone calls (sorry Rach!)?
I hope not. Nope ... it's not crazy. Because I know that where ever I go, and no matter what changes in my life, she is only a phone call and a plane ride away. The thing is - she knows my past. She's been with me through the class choices, summer job choices, boyfriend choices, career choices, husband choices, etc.

So - we spent the past three days together. It was a little nutty and a little noisey since "R & R" is now "R & R plus 6". But it was good to reconnect. It was good to see the kids connect (they call each other cousins!). It's good to know that she's still my soule mate.
Only problem is - I got used to having her around. And now I miss her.
Just a phone call away.
I love you Rachel!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Me and G

Me and G