

Last Sunday I heard a sage young preacher say, "You must LEARN to DISCERN". He went on (and on!) - but I'll stop there. Learning to DISCERN is one of the most essential skills we can teach our kids.
So a few weeks ago Eden, desperate for some Miley Cyrus posters to hang in her bedroom, asked if she could use her own money to buy one of those teeny-bopper magazines that always has a poster or two in the centerfold. I knew what she was talking about - I'm sure I spent many hard earned babysitting dollars on Bop and TigerBeat magazine. But, oh - she's way too young.
I himmed and hahhed for a few days, then came up with a plan. We made a special trip to Walmart (Eden with her wallet tightly clutched in her hand!). We headed directly to the magazine aisle where we pulled out each and every teeny-mag. We talked about what was appropriate and what was inappropriate in each and finally decided on "Bop". The total bill came to $4.53.
Immediately the posters were hung (friends consulted as to where they should go). Then the magazine was read - cover to cover.
A couple of days later she came to me with the magazine in her hand.
"I don't think I'll buy magazines like this again," she said. "Too much gossip and rumours. I don't think I should read gossip and rumours."
Good choice young lady. I think she learned an important lesson in discernment. The lesson cost her $4.53 of her own money - I think it was worth it.
PS Kirk Cameron is a hottie - now and in 1987. Did you know he's a preacher?
2 comments:
That is so impressive, Robin. I think it took me a few subscriptions to actually discern that those magazines aren't very "informative" after all. But what are the alternatives? So few, right?
Kirk Cameron! I did know he was a preacher and that he and his wife had opened a camp for special kids - perhaps ones with terminal illnesses?
Hey, I love rumours and gossip! No apologies! But kudos to Karis for being smarter than I.
Post a Comment