Monday, July 28, 2008

A Clean Room














It must be a mom thing - nagging your kids to clean their rooms. I hate to do it, but my kids don't seem to wired to clean their rooms without a little external persuasion. With one of my children there can literally be kicking and screaming when it comes time to make the bed and clean the room. But, what she lacks in desire to clean she makes up for in creativity. Check out the photo - she realized that if you don't sleep under the covers you don't have to make the bed. It works for me. We'll have to see what happens when winter comes.

So, given her history of raising a ruckus at clean up time maybe you'll show a little grace and understanding when I share this next story. This morning Eden and Justin were outside playing "Skateboard School" (Justin passed level one!!) and the house was unusually quiet - I enjoyed the moment. A few quiet moments later I realized that I had no clue where Karis was or what she was up to. My searching led me to my bedroom. When I walked in the room Karis scurried over to the bed as if she were trying to hid something or cover something up. I reacted without thinking. I went into lecture mode and explained to her that in our house we don't sneak around and we don't need to hide and we shouldn't lie (I kind of went on and on). Then I noticed that the clothes I had piled on my bed were gone. I went back into lecture mode, "Where are my clothes?". Karis looked a little sheepish, "I was cleaning up the bedrooms, I wanted to surprise you." Sure enough, she had meticulously cleaned up EVERY bedroom and the bathroom. Clothes put away, beds made, toys cleaned up. Of course I felt horrible. I had so quickly jumped to the conclusion that she was up to no good. Despite the history I need to try harder to jump to good conclusions, to see the glass half full, to assume the best.

I'm sorry Karis. I love you. I am so thankful for your act of service. Thank you!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH WOW!!!! What an AWESOME girl you have there!!!!
Do you rent her out?? We could sure use her over here! (you might not see her for a while though!lol) :D

Me and G

Me and G