Thursday, October 23, 2008

And the Secret Is ...


GREEN
TOMATOES!
Sounds gross doesn't it?
That's why I quick sliced a piece and tried it before serving it to my company. Believe me ... it is amazing. Reminiscent of zucchini bread or carrot cake. And yes, the kids liked it. That is, they liked it until they discovered the secret ingredient. Now they won't come near it. Oh well.
Our first frost came this week. The garden is empty and I am now desperately trying to find something to do with all these half ripe veggies. More Green Tomato Cake anyone?



Green Tomato Cake
Yields: 24 servings

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups chopped green tomatoes (measure them before you drain them)
1/2 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
DIRECTIONS:
1. Chop tomatoes into very small, almost crushed pieces. Place chopped tomatoes in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch baking pan.
3. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until creamy.
4. Sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add raisins and nuts to dry mixture; add dry ingredients to creamed mixture. Dough will be very stiff. Mix well.
5. Add drained tomatoes and mix well. Pour into the prepared 9 x 13 inch pan.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
7. Top with cream cheese frosting or a light dusting of icing sugar.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ewwwwww!!!!! ROFL!!
I wouldn't have thought of using the unripe stuff!! Good on ya Robin! :)

Tabitha Pye said...

I make a tomatoe soup cake that you would think is gross but is actually pretty good. I would try this cake and probably love it. :)

The Passionate Housewife said...

this Is just like my tomatoe soup cake that is oh so good!

I would never have thought you could use green tomatoes for it...hmmmm.

Good hide and seek though, eh?!

Thanks for coming today, by the way.
It was nice seeing you, and my daughter loved spending time with Karis!
luv u,sher

Me and G

Me and G