Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Derby Winner(s)

I didn't have much hope. As a matter of fact, as Sarah and I walked in the building I said (direct quote), "So help me if she won this thing, then we'll have to go to the Provincial Finals in Brantford."

Let me back up a minute. We signed the kids up for AWANA back in September. It's a weekly bible club that meets at a local Baptist church and has bible memory as it's focus. I was unaware that there were extra-curricular activities involved with AWANA. One such extra-curricular activity is the Pinewood Derby car races. For the past month or so George and Eden have disappeared into the garage here and there to work on their derby car. They decided to make it in the shape of a piano (I've never seen a pink and green piano, but that's what she decided.) End of subject for me.

Tonight I was planning on date night with my hubby while the kids were at AWANA (almost 2 hours without kids! yippee!). Then, George reminded me (or rather informed me) that the Pinewood Derby was tonight and that we should be at AWANA to support Eden (only the older kids participate in this event). I sighed. OK. I stuck around for the opening. Watched the first and second races. Took a couple obligatory pictures. Cheered. And decided that it they were probably not going to win. So, I grabbed Sarah and we went shopping for an hour.

Now to the point where I started this story.
Sarah and I walk in the building.
"So help me if she won ..."
Eden and Kylie are playing tag in the lobby.
"How did you do?"
"I won FIRST place for speed and FOURTH place for design!!"
"And where's your trophy?"
"Daddy has it."

I turn the corner, and there he is, grinning from ear to ear showing of her (or rather HIS) trophy to all the other dads. I've rarely seen the man more proud. It was one of those moments that dads live for. And apparently one of those moments that moms skip in order to go shopping. I missed the photo op. But the silver lining is that in two weeks we (probably THEY) are heading to Brantford for the provincial finals. They already have their pit crew lined up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! How exciting!!! That is soooo cool! (way to miss is Robin!! lol)

CONGRATS EDEN!!!(and george)

Me and G

Me and G