Me: You sure are a super kid, Justin.Justin: Well, then you are a "SuperMom".
Me: Really?
Justin: Yep, and your super power is that you .... hmmm ... you save people from water.
Me: So what's your super power?
Justin (without hestitation): I save people from lava.
...
Later that night.
Justin: Does God like it when superheroes kill the bad people?
*Long pause.*
Me: You know, I don't think God likes it when anyone is killed, even bad people.
Justin: That's what I thought.
...
Just like my four year old I think we're all searching for Superheroes to save the day, or at least to save us from the water and lava. We even like to imagine ourselves as the Superhero. I'm glad to be a SuperMom in my son's eyes, at least for the time being. But more than that I'm glad that even a four year old recognizes that it's not about killing the bad guys as much as it is about saving people (from lava and water!). I think I'll perpetuate the superhero play - we all need a little "saving" every once in a while.
ps The art work is by Justin. It says "Save in lava" (with a few extra vowels thrown in there). It's a self portrait.
No comments:
Post a Comment