Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Giving Presence...


We felt a little restless this Christmas season. We needed nothing. We wanted stuff we didn't need. We had no desire to shop. Our families were either South or West for the holidays. We were alone and lonely.

Then we watched the Advent Conspiracy video. Watch it here - but beware, it may make you think twice about the hustle and bustle that we've all accepted as the norm. We realized that we didn't need presents, we needed PRESENCE.
The long and the short of it is this. We traded in the shopping, wrapping and unnecessary toys for a plane ticket to the South and an opportunity to BE present with George's mom, dad and gram. I am 100% confident that the memories of this time with family will be more precious and last longer than any gift I could purchase. I know as a result of this trip we will be more relaxed, more peaceful and more prepared to jump into the New Year with both feet running (thus avoiding the post-Christmas hibernation resulting from too much busy-ness and excess partying).
And, of course the obvious added bonus is that it's 80 degrees here (as opposed to 8 degrees in London!). The pool is hot. The sun is shining. The shells are plentiful. And in the words of Karis, "I'm not just relaxing, I'm CHILL-axing!"

6 comments:

Mrs. CP said...

I see someone's reading The Shack. Great book!! We loved the Advent Conspiracy video too... enjoy your trip! Sounds like you're already off to a great start!

-H said...

Glad to see you've picked up the shack again :)

The Passionate Housewife said...

NOOOO Way!!!

You are in Florida!!!

Wow, have a fabulous, restful time!

Anonymous said...

Ok, everyone sees "The Shack"..lol. BUT i think that the question should be...is that a dead sea horse on your table?

miss ya!

Robin Saylor said...

yep .... dead sea horse. it's laying on the table drying out. it's a rare find!

Anonymous said...

OH COOL! See i like to check out the weird stuff! lol. Maybe that was why i wanted to homeschool....hmmm...

Me and G

Me and G