Friday, January 9, 2009

And the Winner Is ...

... and let me tell you I was not excited about it!

The guesses were good, everything from sweetened condensed milk t0 pineapple to salsa to baked beans to chickpeas to lots of guesses for corn. And obviously you all are smarter than I am because it really was corn. And I really (I mean REALLY) don't like the smell of canned corn - for that matter, I'm not even sure why it was in the pantry.

To keep up with my end of the bargain I am posting my Southwestern Corn Chowder recipe which is about the only way I like to use canned corn - it is amazing. Just be sure to add a squirt or lime juice to each bowl when you serve it, it makes a huge difference!

Southwestern Corn and Potato Soup

1 cups finely chopped onions
2 minced garlic cloves
1 can green chilies
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups Vegetable (or chicken) stock
2 teaspoons cumin (I use less than this)
2 cups sweet potato diced
1 red bell peppers chopped
2 cans corn kernels (not creamed)

In a covered soup pot, simmer the onions, garlic, chile, and salt in 1 cup of stock for about 10 minutes, or until onions are soft. In a small bowl, make a paste with the cumin and a few tablespoons of the stock, stir it into the pot, and simmer for another 1 or 2 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and the remaining stock and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the sweet potatoes soften. Add the bell pepper and corn and simmer, covered for another 10 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are tender.

Puree about half of the soup in a blender and return to the pot (I actually leave it on the stove top and use an immersion blender). The soup will be creamy and thick. Add salt to taste and gently reheat on low heat.

Serve with lime wedges (or a splash or lime juice) and top with cilantro. Great with pitas and guacamole and/or Caesar salad.

Congrats to George, Meghan, Heather, Christy, and Julie (and Rachel too for her first guess)!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a good and needed laugh this morning Robin. That mysterious can falling into your laundry cracked me up. And I'm going to try that soup, sounds good!

Me and G

Me and G