Sunday, April 26, 2009

What Can You Get For A Buck?

Apparently the McDonald's advertising crew missed the sale at Moorings Presbyterian Church when they wrote their recent ad, "What can you get for a buck?". The folks at Moorings proved that you can get a lot more than a cheeseburger for a buck. In fact - you could get a whole new wardrobe for a buck. A whole new wardrobe of brand new, brand name, exactly the right size clothes.

I think you see where I'm going with this. We hit the sale to end all sales yesterday. A church sale in Naples, FL is unlike any church sale I've been to. It starts with dirt cheap prices and top of the line stuff. At 11:30am it all goes half price. And at 12:30pm you better be waiting in line with your running shoes on because they hand you a paper bag and mark it all down to $1 A BAG. It's every man/woman for themself.

So I went with the Queen of Bargain Shopping herself - my mother-in-law - she rocks! We hit the road at 8am and found the bargains we didn't think would make it through the morning of mark downs - my total $2.40. At 12:15pm we made our way back to the sale, surveyed the remainders and paid for the two shirts (at half price) that I knew would go instantly at half price - my total $3.00. They kick us all out at 12:30 for 10 minutes while they prepare for the stampede. Seriously this was like nothing I've ever been to. With my bag in hand I headed in for the fill a bag portion of this sale. And this is where I put the McDonald's ad to shame - before I knew it my bag was full of mostly brand new clothes - pants, capris, two dress suits, button down shirts. Seriously - a whole new wardrobe - my total $1.00. My grand total for the morning $6.40.

But the award for best find goes to the Queen - she deserves it too. She found this dress. And it fits her to a tee. And it is on it's original hanger. And it was made for the Adam Room by Saks Fifth Ave (read - big money here). And it is in perfect condition. And - here we go - it was $6. Yep, $6 - no zeros behind it. $6. Isn't she gorgeous? I think George inherited his looks from his mom and his sense of humor from his dad.



On a side note, Naples is home to a lot of immigrant families. It was amazing to see so many of these families at the sale - some families went home with bags and bags of clothes. The best was the two men from Haiti walking out with a suit for each of them, bags of clothes and smiles on their faces that couldn't be any bigger. I realize that for some people this was more than just a fun morning of bargain shopping - it was a blessing beyond compare.

2 comments:

OrangeHeroMama said...

Oooohhh, that sounds like MY kinda sale!!! and that dress is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! :)

The Passionate Housewife said...

OH MY WORD!!

That is sooo me!! Now that is how I love to shop...not sure I could have handled the excitement, those are deals beyond compare!!

You are so right, your mother in law is Beautiful and I adore that dress!

What a fun day you guys had, and I'm so pleased to hear what a blessing these sales are to families in need.

Me and G

Me and G