Saturday, July 4, 2009

Nose In A Book

True story from a couple of years ago: I'm totally into a book. Desperate for time to read I take the kids to the neighborhood playground. The goal = they play, I read. Ten minutes into my book I hear Eden shouting. I look up to see her standing at the top of the play structure screaming, "I'm the queen of the castle." looks directly at me "And in MY kingdom moms play with their kids, they DON'T read!"

I admit it, when I get into a book I'm a pretty useless mom. I'm ok with that though - I think it's good for them to see me read. I justify it by saying that I'm setting a good example! Here's my updated 9 in 09 reading list, my added books, and my Top Ten Books of all time. I'd love to hear what you're reading these days.

Nine in 09 Reading List: *red = completed
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Maryanne Shaffer and Annie Barrows
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery
One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd by Jim Fergus
The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (I don't recommend it)

Added to the list:
Shell Seekers by Rosamond Pilchner (love, love, love it!)
The Book of Negros by Lawrence Hill (in USA the title is Someone Knows My Name)
Outliers by Malcom Gladwell (almost done, due back at the library before I finished!)
Revelation by Beverly Lewis
Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Mother Daughter Book Club List:
Ella Enchanted
Bridge to Terebithia
Little Women
Ida B.


Top 10 Favorite Books of All Times:
The Bible: Psalm 139, Romans 12, Colossians 3, Philippians 4
Stolen Lives: Twenty Years In A Desert Jail
by Malika Oufkir
Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maude Montgomery
Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by by Maryanne Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Outliers by Malcom Gladwell
Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
The Birthing House by Ami McKay
The Poison Wood Bible byBarbara Kingsolver
Improving Your Serve by Charles Swindoll
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
bonus: Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Just Added ... Favorite Cookbooks: (I read cookbooks like a novel - only I drool more)
Moosewood Restaurand Low-Fat Favorites
Looney Spoons
The Complete Canadian Living Cookbook
Cooking Light
Clean Eating for the Whole Family

2 comments:

Vanessa Winters said...

That's Maud *without* an E if you please, tee hee.

Michelle Thomas Wiegers said...

I think we read improving your serve at Geneva? I have it at least. Oh and I loved Time Travelers Wife, let me know what you think of that one. I almost read the Lovely Bones a while back, maybe I'll skip that one altogether. All I'm reading lately is homeschooling stuff. Have you read Susan Schaeffer McCaulley's For the Children's Sake? Inspiring!

Me and G

Me and G