I used to enjoy roughin' it - sleeping under a tarp, eating no-name brand Spam (Treat) with pineapple for dinner, and using Dr. Bronners soap for my dishes, my face, my clothes and my toothpaste. Now I camp at a campground whose bi-line is "we pamper the camper". I am perfectly content with pampering! I like having clean showers, a playground, a fellowship hall for rainy days, a pool and wireless internet. Yes - I did just say wireless internet. But - despite the access to wireless I was computer free for a week. Hence my many posts tonight.
Highlights from a week of being a pampered camper. *numbers correspond to pictures above
1. Josiah. He's 10. He's cool. He's cute. We all love him! Justin especially loves Josiah. He spent the week mirroring every move Josiah made. Justin even stated, "I really love Josiah. I won't love him when I'm a grown-up, but I love him now." Not sure what that means - just left it at that. I love having good role models for my kids. Keep it up Josiah!
2. Canada Day fireworks. I need to learn how to photograph fireworks - but this has a cool effect. George was only with us for part of the week so he missed the fireworks. Justin was a little distraught at Daddy missing the fireworks and insisted on my taking lots of photos to show Daddy how awesome it was.
3. The Kuikens and the Banningas - camping with friends ROCKS!
4. Our oh so humble abode.
5. The hoodie club.
6. Rain. Yep, we endured a few rainstorms. But hey - rain makes puddles and puddles are fun to bike through. We stayed very positive and had a blast regardless.
7. It's really hokey but the kids LOVE it. At 7pm EVERY night we hear over the loudspeaker, "Good-evening campers! The wagon ride will start in 5 minutes. Meet at the fellowship hall in 5 minutes." The kids go nuts - 5 minutes!!!! They all pile on the wagon and take a ride around the campground and wave to all the campers. Hokey - but they wouldn't miss it!
8. Breakfast on the campfire. My latest culinary invention: eggs and toast in the pie-iron! We were out of bacon so Karis had a hotdog with her eggs and toast. The rest of us opted out of the hotdog but thoroughly enjoyed the "egg in a nest".
9. Canada Day festivities in Sarnia. Lots of red and white.
10. The stream behind our campsite rose with the rain. Think positive - this created plenty of opportunities for frog catching and stream wading.
11. Biking. Lots of biking. Lots of biking through mud puddles. Lots of laundry.
12. Crafts: sand candles, crayons on a stick, rock painting, and drawing on wood with soot. What can I say - we're creative with our natural resources.
ps I apologize to Eden for the lack of pictures of her in the collage. Here's a few to make up for it:

1 comment:
Love this! Do you realize you're living my dream? Seriously I've always hoped we'll have a pop up camper someday, totally into the pampered camper effect! Live outside without having to stink for a week. Speaking of stinking for a week...remember our spring break trip back in the Geneva days? That was such a blast, learned a lot, had lots of fun. But bring on the drive up camping for this girl! :)
Post a Comment