Friday, August 28, 2009

Long Live The 80s

I recently found a shoe box that was taped up, decorated and adorned with a noted saying, "Do NOT open until the year 2000". Since it is now 2009 I felt safe opening the box. Guess what I found?

THE 80's!

Yep - a box full of coins, gummy bracelets, magazines, coke cans, pictures, letters and movie stubs from the late 80's. Honestly, I don't remember being such a girly-girly! Truth is I only have vague memories of making this time-capsule. But this letter proves it was me.


What struck me head-on was the fact that the 80's are BACK with a vengence.

Seriously it's back. I just bought my daughter's black and white checkered button down shirts with leggings and a pink and black checkered scarf - and they are eager to get their hands on some high-tops.

1987 - high tops, big sweater and leggings. What cracks me up is my little side-note "my dad hated it" on the leggings and sweater!

1989 - check out the scarf I wore ... I kind of wish I still had it.


The last few months have also brought remakes or replays of some great 80's music. The girls are shocked when I sing along with all the words. "How do you know THAT song mom?" I love it! Little do they know that there was pop music before 2009.

Here's what we're listening to around our house these days:
Miley Cyrus - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Pure NRG - Footloose
U Can't Touch This (not sure who's singing it)
Rusted Root - Send Me On My Way (played on one of the TVO shows)

I kind of doubt Glass Tiger will make a come back. But I did hear that they were playing at the Sarnia Canada Day festival. And Kirk Cameron - he's making a come back in Christian film - no further comments necessary.


I was so glad to find my little box of 1980's treasures.
I am so glad to see my kids enjoying the style and sounds of the 80's.
Long Live the 80's!

4 comments:

The Passionate Housewife said...

Wow! thats hilarious robin!!

I cannot believe you did this time capsule way back when and how neat is that that everything ties in with now... I love it!

Len and I saw a pair of red converse the other day and he picked them up and said "hey honey you were wearing a pair just like this when we met..lets get you a pair"
To which I thought he was serious until he started laughing and stated he could never picture me wearing them now...especially with the bright yellow slouchy socks I used to pair them with!

Lisa said...

Just the way I remember you, Robin!
Why doesn't it surprise me that you made a time capsule? lol
We haven't changed much, have we? *ahem*
Great post! Thanks for the memories!

The Grammarian said...

This is a riot, Robin! And to think one of the first times I hung out with you and George was at that CCO conference and the first night was an 80's dance. Totally gnarly memories, man.

OrangeHeroMama said...

oh that is just way too cool Robin!! I totally wanna see it next time i'm over!!! :D

Me and G

Me and G