Take two with pets.
A year ago we tried Guinea Pigs. Don't read that wrong - we didn't TRY guinea pigs like you'd TRY chicken-a-la-king, although we were tempted - we TRIED to keep guinea pigs as a pet.
Tried ... didn't put enough love into it. But we tried. Didn't last long. We gave them up. No love lost.
While garage sale-ing last weekend my little shopping assistants convinced me that we NEEDED a fish tank in our school room.
I said no. Drove off. Empty handed. One hour later I was back. I caved. "If it's still there it's meant to be."
I guess it was meant to be because here we sit today with a 10 gallon fish tank and three little starter fish (the lady at PetSmart claimed that these ones are hard to kill - we'll see about that!).
Set-up the tank.
Prepare the water.
Run the filter.
Get the fish.
Name the fish.
Ahh ... the naming of the fish. This is the fun part. I off handedly suggested that since we are studying early explorers we could name the fish after explorers. They jumped on this band wagon.
"I'll name mine Lucky after Leif 'the Lucky' Eriksonn, " said Justin.
"Oh, mine will be Marco Polo Saylor," said Karis.
"And mine - mine can be Dora, " said Eden.
"Dora?" Slight confussion by all but Eden.
"Yes. Dora the Explorer!"
So there you have it. Let the Saylor saga with fish begin. We have Lucky, Marco and Dora. PetSmart lady said that we could add a few more to our crew in a couple of days - I see a Cabot and a Diego in our future!

2 comments:
Love the fish tank, and glad you caved! We've got a fish tank in our school room too. A friend was giving away a HUGE goldfish, named goldy. Now we also have booky and well I can't remember the other one. But one creative/fun thing we've done is had the kids do artwork as the tanks backdrop so you don't see the wires. Its fun and cute, the fish enjoy it too! :)
If you need any help, let me know! I love my fishes. What kind did you get? They kind've look like mollies. A tip: 1 inch of FULL GROWN fish per gallon. So, mollies get to be 2 inches. That means 5 fish. I like the idea of the kids drawing the background, that's pretty awesome. I also love my snail and had two frogs that were pretty rad too.
Post a Comment