
There are a few Dutch traditions that I hold on to because I love them.
Borenkoel - mashed potatoes and kale. It's comfort food on cold fall days, plus it's got kale in it so by default it's a SUPER food.
Dropjes - extra salted black licorice. Sounds disgusting and it is. But, if like me they started you on dropjes about the time they started you on rice cereal then your mouth will be watering just at the mere mention of it. Dropjes! Did your mouth water?
Broekies - dutch word for undies. Not many people will know what you're talking about when you say, "Shoot, I forgot to put on my broekies this morning." (Not that I've ever said that - hehe!).
There are other Dutch traditions that I've tossed. No need to mention them here - I'd hate to offend anyone. But yeah, there are somethings the Dutch should have left on the boat.
And then there are Dutch traditions that I knew nothing about but I eagerly embrace.
Today is one of those days.
12 and a half.
Does it mean anything to you? 12 and a half.
For the Dutch 12 and a half is half way to 25.
12 and a half years of marriage is therefore a perfect reason to throw a party!
Actually, I think the Dutch are just looking for an excuse to party, but regardless I like it.
It's monunemtal. It's a step along the way.
It's 12 and a half years of marriage - half way to 25 years of marriage!
And today George and I celebrate 12 and a half years of marriage.
I'd like to throw a party.
One big problem though. Only half of us is here. The other half is at the National Church Planter's Congress in Calgary. Yeah, that's a problem. Can't really throw an anniversary party without him.
I love the Dutch. I love my Dutch heritage. I love that we have a reason to party.
How about joining us for a party?
Maybe an open house next weekend.
And next week we're enjoying our American heritage and celebrating American Thanksgiving - so it could just be one big week of celebrating!
I should probably sync my calendar with his before I set a date.
But we'll be in touch.
We'll have this party.
Cause I'm Dutch. And I'd be denying my heritage if we didn't throw a party! Right?
ps If you are reading this George - I love you more than any Dutch boy who ever crossed my path!
1 comment:
You better love me more than any of those weak-chinned dutch broekie boys. Or is that dropjes? I forget now. Oh wait, dropjes taste like broekies! Hah! I love you too my little dutch maid!
Post a Comment