Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Derby Day
After hours of planning designs, carving, sanding, painting and decorating the cars it was finally the much anticipated derby day at AWANA. With dad in Calgary I was a little nervous -thank goodness for free text messaging. A few messages back and forth and we had the wheels aligned and the axels greased. Only three wheels actually touched the ground at any given time but I told the kids it meant less friction which may make it go faster. It sounded reasonable. They believed me!
Since I had my weekly Bible study at that time, Nana and Bumpa were called in to assist and away they went. I thought we were on easy street until Karis's tears revealed that she was a nervous wreck. She was so afraid that she might come in last place. It broke my heart. So I left my Bible study in the hands of the first person who walked in the door and away I went to be with my girls.
It was a valiant effort but we came home with no trophies (unlike the Boorsmas who I hear made a clean sweep and came home with 5!). It's all good - Karis gnawed her way through her bag and fingers she was so nervous - but she had fun. Her first derby car race is under her belt and as she lay in bed tonight she whispered, "What design should I do on my car next year?" I assured her that we have 365 days to plan it - I'm sure we'll come up with something good. BTW - Karis's car is the green/purple crayon and Eden's is the phone. Sweet designs. Next year we'll focus on speed AND cuteness!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Me and G


1 comment:
Next year, we'll have to consult. My dad was such an engineer that we went all the way to regionals, and as I recall we placed. I don't think they have nationals, do they? That would seem silly to me. Anyway: you angle the axles so the wheels ride on their edges, grease 'em up and the (the final touch) you insert small lead weights underneath in the wood. Don't forget an aerodynamic design, long and skinny. Wins every time. Although I sometimes wonder if those lead weights were cheating....ah, AWANA.
Post a Comment