We are trying our best to make the most of our Canadian winter.
We ventured out to Suicide Hill (aka Killer Hill) for an afternoon of sledding. This is some serious sledding - not for the faint of heart, the weak or the wimps.
He-hem - not for ME.
But I'm real good at watching, cheering and making hot chocolate!
It's days like this that I'm thankful for the freedom to home school. Karis was up at 7am, started her school work by 7:45am and was done by 9:30am. So in the spirit of celebrating Canadian winters we began her cardboard igloo project.
The long story short is that I took her to an Art Museum back in the fall. She "discovered" modern art (!) including a life size igloo made out of cardboard. She has been dutifully collecting cardboard for the past 4 months and finally has enough to begin her own igloo creation. We read about how to build a real igloo. We decided on the eight sided octagon model made out of rectangles and topped with pentagons. (Read here: home school mom attempting to slip in a geometry lesson!)
To save my sanity - we decided to begin construction in her bedroom. This allows for the igloo to be a temporary sleeping space and also means I don't have to see the mess (big plus for me). Pictures of the completed igloo will be posted soon - I assure you.
So on Friday after completing her school work by 9:30am, she worked on her igloo for two hours, ate some lunch, headed out for an afternoon of sledding and then had friends over for brownies, cookies and hot chocolate. Now that's a good day of schooling! Canadian winters are very do-able - you just need the right attitude to do them. I've learned that the hard way and I'm gearing up for a good, good winter!
No comments:
Post a Comment