
I used to be a scrapbooker.
There you go. I admitted it.
I used to be ... that means I no longer am.
I used to be a scrapbooker.
I scrapbooked because I loved photography and I needed something to do with all those photos I kept taking.
I loved it. I love paper. I love creating. I love pretty things. I love the social aspect of scrapbooking with friends. I love memory keeping.
But then life happened. Church planting and homeschooling grew. I ran out of time. I ran out of energy.
I tried my hand at digital scrapbooking. I liked it. I did a little hybrid scrapbooking. It worked for me.

And then I discovered the world of blogging and blurb.com. Blogging allows me to do something with those photos, express myself in writing and share it with anyone who takes the time check it out (ie saves me the time of emailing photos to family all over the world!). Blurb.com takes my blogging to the next level - for a little bit more time on the computer and a few ten dollar bills (six to be exact) they will make a hard bound book out of my blog and send it to me.
There you go.
Blogging meets scrapbooking and they enter the 21st century.
It's a perfect little gig. I share my stories, thoughts and photos with family and friends; my photos find a home; and I have a tangible record of those memories in a real book.
I still miss the paper and acid free tape runners. Every once in awhile I pull them out and do a page here or there. But I'm happy with this arrangement.
So there you have it - my defense of blogging. My reason for all the stories and photos. I'm keeping memories. I'm preserving the quips and the quotes of my kids. And in the meantime I'm giving you a little window into our world. Enjoy the show!
And while we're at it - don't even get me started on photobooks. I should have bought stock in them years ago. They're brilliant - compact, you don't have to print your photos, they've got the scrapbook look without the mess of scrapbooking, lots of journalling space and good quality. Brilliant.
4 comments:
I'm with you, Robin!
My blogs have always been a way for me to keep memories and share photos.
I satisfy my urges for pretty paper with the occasional card making. :)
We think so alike! I was never the amazing scrapbooker like you, but I do a photo book (shutterfly) every year- and this year I'm going to blurb my blog for the first time! I just downloaded the blurb software! How did you like how your book turned out??
Wow, this post made me feel so many things..
Sad, because i really need to come to terms with the fact that i too USED to be a scrapper...
and yet..
Hopeful, because you make me realize that there are more things out there that can be so satisfying like scrapping..I LOVE LOVE LOVE those photobooks of yours!
Hmmm...so i guess the next question is though, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH ALL THE STUFF?! and how do you get over all the money that was spent on that STUFF?! :(
Oh Robin, your books look awesome!
I have wanted to do a photo book for a while but STILL have not gotten around to it. Yours are so inspiring!
I am most definitely using blurb this year(soon) to do my blog. I had wanted to do it last year and of course did not get around to it. Len has been bugging me though to get it done.
There's another good site who does the blog to book thing too. I was looking at it. Is blurb easy to use? This site looked really easy.
Post a Comment