Saturday, January 2, 2010

Transition Tradition


My baby is 10!
Wasn't it just yesterday that the world was freaking out about Y2K while I struggled through 40 hours of labour as George declared on the phone to his parents, "We're having a BLAST!"?
The decade is over and my millenium baby is 10 years old.

As our kids are getting older George and I have been trying to be intentional with family traditions. A new tradition has been birthed. Instead of a birthday party with a house full of family and friends the 10th birthday will be marked with a sleep over at a hotel with the birthday kid, a friend (or two or a sister) and mom or dad.

A winter storm warning was announced for London and the surrounding area but we were nestled away in the Best Western - eating way too much pizza, pringles and gummy bears; swimming; sliding on the fasted water slide EVER; playing hide and seek in the hotel (mom's idea!); hot tubbing; watching movies; and hardly sleeping a wink.

Memories. That's a huge part of traditions. We got a bank full of them from this weekend!
Memories and anticipation of the next event. Karis is already planning out her 10th birthday away. And if Justin could snap his fingers and be 10 he would. I won't let him though. I want to stop time. Or at least pause it.



I'm eager to hear what traditions others have.
Tell me.
How do you mark passages of time with your family?
How do you celebrate special events?
What's your favorite family tradition?

2 comments:

carolyn boorsma said...

One thing I have found is that tradion evolve and grow as time goes on. On occassion, they die off too. One of our first traditions as a married couple was to set up the Christmas tree the first weekend in December and we've stuck to that. When I got pregnant with Josh, we started our Saturday mornings with pancakes for breakfast followed by a trip to the library. It was an easy tradition to maintain once rachel becae a big sister and something she counted on every week. Now, she doesn't like pancakes any more and I have to drag her to the library! But Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without a hike in the woods on my sister's farm and launching model rockets and hide and go seek in the dark. And Christmas would never be the same without our calorie-laden, kid inspired feast. I am looking forward to seeing our traditions evolve as new members are added to our extended family and I look forward to participating in traditions that are to come as the years progress.

Anonymous said...

Our Christmas morning tradition is to get up, check to see if Santa visited, stick "Land of Nod" Cinnamon Buns in the oven and then open our stockings while the buns bake. After stockings are emptied and breakfast consumed, we take turns opening presents. With our baby 14 years old, this year we had breakfast at noon!! Unfortunately a tradition ended this year. Since Clara was a baby we have gone out to cut our tree down. Last year the tree farm we have gone to had "slim pickins" and this year with no snow to tramp through we decided to support a local church . . .
-Kristine

Me and G

Me and G