Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Art and Life

Art imitates life.
Life imitates art.
Sometimes life imitates art imitating life.

If you've jumped on the Wii Fit bandwagon (which my quads will tell you, I have), then you're probably familiar with the new Snowball Fight game. A game obviously taking snowball fights to the next level but in a basic way imitating life.

Such was the situation this weekend in our backyard.
I'm proud to say that a few minutes on the Wii Fit Snowball Fight game led to hours of creative and very physical fun in the backyard.

I'm not so proud to say that our backyard now looks more like the set of Beverly Hillbillies than the suburbs of London, ON. Oh well ... we'll clean it up when the snow melts!

So life is imitating art. And life proves to be infinitely more fun than a mere video game.
It's refreshing. It's encouraging. It's fun to watch. It's amazing to see the creativity of kids at play.



It also comes with a warning. A warning that life does imitate art. There is innocence in imitating a snowball fight. Wii Snowball Fight is tame - very, very tame in comparison with other games. So, I'm taking this warning to heart.

I'm reminded of a verse in Ephesians 5, "Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love." How about that? Imitating a life of love. Our dear children are watching and imitating - it's what kids do, it's how kids learn. With that in mind, let's fill their lives with really amazing things/people to imitate. Let's introduce them to a God who is love.

And, in the meantime the snowball fight is still set up in the yard - anyone want to come over for some good old fashioned fun

No comments:

Me and G

Me and G