Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Mommy ... I'm Hungry


We're not big eaters here at the Saylor household but we do eat ALL the time.
Case in point - as I just sat down to write this post my dear son who just had breakfast 45 minutes ago shouted "Mommy ... I'm hungry!" Hence the snack pantry - filled with perfectly healthy snack choices right at kid level. So my response was, "Get something to eat." He's five - if he was a wild animal he'd be fending for himself by now.

I'm off track though. My point was to share our menu for the week. I know, it's Wednesday - I'm a little late. But here's the deal, we ate leftovers on Sunday, we went skiing on Monday (brought a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter, a bag of baby carrots and some power bars), then we had Shrimp Creole (froze half the batch from 2 weeks ago) and chicken noodle soup (boiled the bones from last week's whole chickens).

So that brings us to Wednesday.

Wednesday
Chicken Stir Fry

*simple to make, easy to prep ahead (kids can chop veggies!), good way to get fresh vegetables into our diet

Thurdsay
Mattar Paneer and Samosas

* I've been obsessing about this dish since my friend Asha served it on Saturday night. I hope I didn't break some cultural rule when I asked her for the recipe ... either way she gave it to me and I'm trying my hand at Indian food. Just in case the kids are not as fanatical about Indian food as I am I'll have some chicken fingers and fresh veggies ready on the side.
* Samosas - I do what Asha does and buy the frozen ones from the Indo-Asian store down the road.

Friday
Pizza and Citrus Salad

*It's kind of become a tradition to do make your pizzas on Friday nights.

Saturday
Brisket, Crashers and Frozen Veggies

*PW recipes. I need some of the brisket for Cowboy Nachos for our Superbowl Party - it makes more than enough for two meals. Just give yourself time - it takes 24 hours to marinate before you cook it for 4 hours.

Sunday
Lunch: Soup (not sure what kind, probably use up our leftovers and make Tomato Vegetable)
Dinner: Superbowl Party!! We're providing the Cowboy Nachos and drinks.

There you have it, another week of eats with the Saylors.

Some people have asked about lunches - I think I've ranted about my dislike of lunch in previous posts. So I'll save you the torture of hearing another outburst.

Here's what I do for lunch. When I make my grocery list I make a list of POSSIBLE lunch options. I buy everything we need for those lunches and then I post the list of lunch options on the fridge.

For example:
Mac and Cheese
Egg McMuffins
(homemade of course)
Pancakes
Quesadillas
Turkey sandwiches

The kids are perfectly capable of making any and all of those meals. So I let them choose and most days I let them do most of the work for making lunch. I call it Home-ec class! (I also taught Eden how to iron last week - slowly but surely I'll get rid of all my home responsibilities!)

And me, well - I always have a smoothie for lunch and then a bite or two of what the kids make. Told you I don't like lunch.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks again sis! I'm putting that Meal planning pad to use!
So my question is, about last week's menu - did you make your own paneer, hmm?

Me and G

Me and G