Saturday, February 6, 2010

Sugar and Spice But Nothing Nice

I need help!
Here's the problem:



Typically I'm pretty organized. I can quickly figure out how to make something work efficiently and effectively.



But for 3 years now I've been stymied on the spice situation.
It's pathetic. I've got stacks and stacks of spices - some in bags, some in containers, some big, some small, all used on a somewhat regular basis.
I don't have drawer space so the Ikea in-drawer spice rack is not an option - and I want my spices easily accessible.
Got any ideas for not so nice spice storing problem?
HELP!

6 comments:

Soph said...

I have the worst, tiniest spice cupboard, so I feel your pain! I've moved some of my most commonly used spices to a nice stainless steel counter top spice holder... I think it holds 18 types of spice! For the cupboard spices, I purchased small glass spice jars from the dollar store (with the regular plastic spice caps with the little holes), transferred everything I had in bags and half empty plastic bottles into those, and labelled them... so they take much less space and are easily refillable... things like bay leaves I put in tiny little tupperware containers... Does that help? :p

OrangeHeroMama said...

OMG, it's like looking in my cupboard! I have the plastic bucket full of the yellow spice bags too! and the insane assortment of bottles/jars/shakers/etc..

Lol. Let me know what you go with!

Kerri said...

I went to Ikea and got some cute little jars, and a small shelf that I think they call a picture shelf. The shelf is above my stove and I keep my most commonly used spices in there. The rest, are in a plastic bin like yours. I would love a better solution too.

Lisa said...

I also went to the dollar store a few years ago and got many of those glass spice jars with the plastic lids. I then took my label maker (LOVE my label maker) and labeled each jar on top. I have two plastic bins side by side for spices, one with the glass jars in it, one with soup mixes and dip mixes etc. When I need a spice, I just slide the plastic bin a bit and find the spice I want. I then store the bigger bags of spice up top where they're not in the way. It works well for me!

Heather said...

That could totally be a picture of my cupboard too! Thanks everyone for the suggestions (and Robin for posting it so we could commiserate!)

bjoycefamily said...

I have the bulk barn jars, too, on a 10-jar spice rack on the counter (most-used stuff) with the extras stashed away on a rack that's nailed to the inside of a cabinet door. I'll show you the next time you're here! We get our spices from the bulk barn - just enough for the small jars - keep in mind that spices and herbs are usually good for about a year. So we just have what fits in the jars.

Me and G

Me and G