Monday, March 29, 2010

Avocado Stuffed Yams

Once again I'm asking you to have an open mind.
Don't write this one off as gross, weird or "something those homeschoolers eat". (Not judging homeschoolers - I am one, remember!).

Like I say to the kids - you don't need to love it, you just need to try it.
On the menu tonight was Avocado Stuffed Yams.

You just need to try it, you don't need to love it ... BUT, I'm pretty sure that after you take your first bite you'll need to take a second, and a third, and a fourth, and then you'll wish you had another serving.
It IS that good.
I mean - it is so good that if it wasn't 8:45pm I'd run upstairs and make myself another one. Addictive. Serve it with a scoop of black beans and some rice and we'll call it dinner.

And the added bonus - it meets most of our family food goals.

Yes, we have family food goals. No, they aren't printed out, colour copied, and hanging on our fridge. But we do have goals. Sounds kind of over the top - I know. But think about this: we need to eat, we spend money on food, we spend time on food, we have rooms in our houses dedicated to food. Maybe we should be a little more intentional with how and what we eat. Maybe it shouldn't be a last minute, throw something together, fill our bellies kind of a thing. And come to think of it, aren't there people hired by the government to give us guidelines and what to eat and how much of it we need to be healthy? This food thing is serious business.

Yes, we have family food goals.
1) Attempt to eat all natural (not processed) food.
2) Lots of fruit and vegetables at every meal.
3) A variety of grains and flours in our bread.
4) One or two meatless meals a week (this is a new one!).
5) Fish one meal a week.
6) Keep most meals under $5 for the whole family.
7) Plan our meals out (ie don't say, "Let's just stop @ McD's and grab _blank__.)
8) Grow a garden.
9) Pick-your-own locally grown fruits and veggies in season.
10) Eat in season fruits and veggies.
11) Freeze and preserve fruits and vegetable from garden, market and pick-your-own for use in the winter.
12) EAT GOOD FOOD.
13) Enjoy making food together as a family.
14) Don't eat cheap food. Don't spend a lot of money on food. This is not a contradiction. I am committed to eating good quality food without spending a lot of money.

I think I just made it much more complicated than it needs to be.
It's simple.
Eat what God made and enjoy it!

5 comments:

Soph said...

awesome! Those are pretty similar to our food goals! I just added "grow my own veggies" and "pick as many local fresh foods as I can this summer" last week... :) One thing I need to experiment more with is different flours... I mostly just use whole wheat. That recipe looks yummy! How did the kids like it? And also, you need to teach me how to do tabs on a blog! So cool :) Ok, I think that's enough for one comment. ;)

The Iowa Farmer's Wife said...

Wow! We're vegetarians so this is actually something we might have to try. I would have never put it together, but it sounds kinda good! :)

Angie said...

Wow this looks like something I may try! Followed the link and it does sound tasty. BTW love your family food goals we have some of the same!

Hen Jen said...

I like avocado on almost anything, I'd probably like this, I'll have to try it!

The Passionate Housewife said...

Hey, I love the new look and the tabs! very cool!

I'll eat ANYTHING that involves avocado or sweet potatoes...it makes sense to try them together!

Me and G

Me and G