Monday, March 1, 2010

We Both Read

Thanks to Megan for sharing with us the most brilliant book since the Bible.
OK - slight exaggeration. I admit it.
But check it out, these books are amazing!
They're called "We Both Read". Currently not available at our library - but I'm putting a good word in for them!

So, let me tell you about this latest find. (I'm a little excited!)
They have a great selection of both fiction and non-fiction at a variety of reading levels. Currently we're stuck in a non-fiction rut and lovin' every minute of it.
We have discovered Bugs, Dinosaurs, Under our Feet, and Space.


And here is the brilliant part.
The left side is written for an adult to read. It has a lot of details and more complicated words.
The right side is written for the child to read. It repeats some of the words from the left side, uses easier words and sight words while adding some new details.


It is perfect for the kid who loves science.
The truth is, just because they can't read the bigger words doesn't mean that they don't want to know the details. That they aren't fascinated by the world that God created.

So this book gives it all ... details and the confidence of reading aloud on their own.


And the bonus for the adult is that it's not boring.
Please tell me that others are bored to tears by typical readers.
Tonight I learned that a flea can jump up to the height of my knee.
Tonight I learned that there is a wasp that stings a tarantula, paralyzes it, lays it eggs on the paralyzed tarantula and then the baby wasps eat the tarantula. Amazing!
Dick and Jane never taught me that!


Look at me - I should be a sales rep for these books.
I guess when you find something that works for your kids you jump right on that bandwagon.
And for now - this is the bandwagon I'm on.

2 comments:

Soph said...

"Dick and Jane never taught me that!" - best quote ever. :) I feel like that sums up my WHOLE life! :)

Michelle Thomas Wiegers said...

You've convinced me and I've just placed 3 of them on hold from my library. Can't wait to read them with Caleb.

Me and G

Me and G