(Although they do argue that healthy carbs are not an issue in weight gain).
Written by a chef and a doctor, their proposed procedure for bread making is revolutionary. And they present it so simply:
You make a huge batch of dough, no kneading, no punching, no waiting, nothin'.
Then you stick it in the fridge in a non-airtight container.
When you want bread you pull out a chunk - they cleverly instruct you take out a chunk either the size of an orange, a grapefruit or a cantaloupe.
Sounds amazing!
Here's where the title is a little deceptive. This is not the book for the mom who works all day - runs in the house at 5pm and wants hot fresh bread for dinner. It does take a mere 5 minutes a day to prep the dough, that's no lie. BUT you then need to let it sit for 90 minutes (yep, an hour and a half), and THEN cook for 30 minutes. A better title would be Healthy Bread With Five Minutes of Work Ready in Two Hours.
I'm not complaining.
For me - it works.
I just pulled out a chunk. Added some seeds and flavors (from the Master recipe you can make oodles of different kinds of bread). And it will be ready by 5pm. Just in time for dinner.
For me - it's brilliant.
For me - it's healthy.
For me - it's cheap.
For me - it's a fun change of pace.
I love it.
That said, it might not work for everyone.
They say that you can keep the dough in your fridge for up to 14 days and that it just gets better and better with time. Problem is, I'm not sure if my will power is strong enough to keep it that long.
If I were a cookbook critique on the Food Network I'd give this book my stamp of approval.
You Tube has a great video describing the procedure in detail. Enjoy!
3 comments:
So glad it arrived safe and sound :) Looking forward to seeing your creations. I bet your kids will love the pizza!
Hey!
I have been wanting their other book on Amazon for awhile. Its the "Artisan bread in 5 min a day."
I found their Challah recipe on line and tried it...it was SO good!
I braided the loaf and it was gorgeous and totally fancy for all of the 3.2 mins that it was cooling before my family tore it apart and devoured it.
I love the method though, they really simplify it. I will have to have a peek at your healthy ones, there might be some that are lower in the glycemic index range that I can have while dieting. I am looking for a good rye that I can make.
Let me know if you try one!
by the way, the bread you made for us was AMAZING, yum!
THANKS so much for your verses, and for the wonderful food, we really needed it and had no energy to cook yesterday, thanks again
xoxoxox
Post a Comment