
Lady rummaging through the piles of stuff on my driveway: "How much for the couch cover?"
Me: "Uhh... $7?" ... "Oh, well, ummm, actually $5." sigh "I just said $7 because I thought you'd say 'How about $5?' and then I'd say 'OK' and we'd both be happy. Yeah, $5."
Her, looking quizzically at me the sheepish saleslady: "Sold."
Phew.
Seriously I am NOT shy. I talk to anyone and everyone, and I'll listen for hours if you want to tell me your life story. But something happens when sales are involved. When money joins the conversation it's like a switch turns on and I get all freaky, weird and uncomfortable. I think I literally squirm.
Until my Saturday morning adventures in garage saling I think I would have considered myself a pretty good saleswoman. But oh, I have learned so much about myself. My eyes are open. I had my ah-ha moment.
I discovered that my compassion out weighs my desire to earn a buck.
This sounds very altruistic - but it's not. I'm a sucker for a baby, an immigrant, a new mom or even the guy who drives up in a beat-up old car. I'm practically throwing stuff into their car (or in some cases into the basket on their bike). They probably need it, right? I'm sure I got ripped off left, right and center.
I learned that I am a good sales person - just not in exchange for money. I can sell you on a new recipe, I can convince you that a dress looks fabulous on you, I can persuade you to use a certain homeschool curriculum. I'm passionate about those things. I sell them well. But a freaky looking doll that I'm sure you don't need?, I couldn't give that stuff away.
I am all the more sure of the fact that I love talking to people. I should have made a pot of coffee and pulled out some lawn chairs and invited folks to have a seat. I had some of the coolest conversations with people: the man who owns 12,000 records; the 70 year old lady with pink hair (she and Karis hit it off!); the woman with four boys under four; the couple who are addicted to etsy; a friend I'd lost touch with; etc. etc. etc.
On that note, my thrill of the day was discovering that my neighbour two doors down, with whom I'd only had conversations over the porch railing, was 9 months pregnant. (That porch railing did wonders in covering up her growing belly!). It was awesome to finally have a real conversation with her.
Who knew a somewhat impromptu fundraiser/garage sale could teach me so much?
So, would I do it again. Probably.
Will I hope to make big bucks? Probably not.
Will I be assured of an opportunity to meet and re-meet lots of amazing people? For sure!!
Our SERVE youth service trip now has another $190 in the fund, and I have a few new friends.
I may be a lousy salesperson - but I'm pretty sure that I'm a good friend. I'm banking on the fact that friends are worth more than gold (there must be a verse in Proverbs to that affect, you think?).
So - next time you're feeling lonely, have a garage sale. If you want to actually make money, don't invite me!
1 comment:
When I used to work at Hallmark, I'd turn people away and tell them to go buy their gift bags at dollarama for $1 instead of $7 here, and point out the chips in the wooden picture frames. I totally understand where you're coming from. When I feel I have something to gain (ie: money), I get weird about selling something... my biggest weakness? The elderly. And people who didn't speak much english. Sigh. It's a good thing I wasn't running that Hallmark store or it would've gone under! lol! Glad you raised some money though!!
Post a Comment