No?
Well, let me tell you ...
No, wait. It was not a dark and stormy night.
It was a bright and sunny Mother's Day morning. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, coffee was brewing, children were loving on their moms, everyone was in good spirits. It was the start to a great day.
Being a church that meets in a movie theatre we have gotten used to having strangers pop in on most Sundays just see what the commotion at theatre is. It's exciting. It thrills me to tell people that on Sunday morning the theatre is not a place of entertainment but rather a place of worship. I eagerly (sometimes maybe too eagerly!) give them a tour, introduce them to some folks, and invite them to join us for worship.
So picture the scene. 10am. Coffee has been served; the last of the stragglers is making his way into theatre 12 for the worship service; a few of us are tidying up for entering worship ourselves. I do a quick survey and notice a middle aged man standing in the hallway drinking a coffee. I introduce myself and ask if he's been to Connections (that's the name of our church) before. He looks up at me and raises his eyebrows ...
red flag
red flag
With raised eyebrows he gives me a look and says, "Connections? So, what are we connecting to?" (now read that last line with a sultry-yet-very-creepy-late-night-bar pick-up line kind of a voice).red flags flying all over the place
I ignore his pick-up attempt and begin to talk to him about God and church and relationship (ie connection) with God. He stops me mid-thought and says, "I don't believe any of this stuff, I've read books and I don't believe anything."
Wanting to further the conversation I say, "So what do you read?"
Without skipping a beat he says, "Oh, lots of books on gynecology."
Wait.
Hold the train.
Did I hear that right?
Instant replay in my brain.
Yep, he said gynecology.
Not going there. Move on.
"So what do you do for a living?"
"Oh, I'm an engineer, an electrician, a construction worker and a musician."
getting weirder by the minute
The band is now well into their set of worship songs. One other person is still tidying while keeping a cautious eye on me and my new "friend".
ME: "You know, the worship service has started would you like to come in?"
HIM: "No way. I don't want anything to do with people."
ME: "OK well I'm going to give you a choice, either you come into worship or you leave the building until the theatre opens at 12:30pm."
HIM: "Oh, all right, I'll leave." (As weird as he was, I was a little disappointed. At this point I was still kind of hoping he would come in to the service).
He once again gives me the raised eyebrows and a little smile and says, "I'll leave, but will you give me a little kiss before I go."
I'm sure I gasped out loud. I laughed nervously and said, "Absolutely NOT. Now leave."
To which he had the guts to say, "Well at least a hug?"
There are more red flags flying than I've ever seen.
Still trying to be polite I said, "You've got to be kidding. Let me walk to you OUT the door."
The minute he left that door it struck me.
1) I just kicked someone OUT of church.
2) I was just "hit on" for the first time in 15 years.
#1 makes me feel a little sad, I need to pray for this man
#2 even though he's obviously crazy (maybe from reading all those books on gynecology!) it's still flattering to get hit on ... but not again for another 15 years, thank you very much.
Church planting brings with it some wild experiences.
This my friends, goes on the record books as one of the craziest (so far)!
NOTE: I immediately informed the theatre manager of the experience, gave him a description of the man and asked him to keep an eye on him. This also emphasizes the reason our church has a "hall monitor" who walks the halls of the theatre during the service to ensure the safety of our children in the family ministry program.
8 comments:
Hey, can I get a kiss and hug?
WOAH!!!! SERIOUSLY?! That's insane!!
Good job Robin! I wish I had been there to back you up -- I've honed my "kicking out" skills working on Dundas St. There is actually a contingent of vagrants who have weekly routines, like walking up to Masonville every Sunday (there is one in particular from the Dundas St. crew that I see every week). Downtown is slow for panhandling on Sundays. Anyway, I totally saw that guy this morning -- he almost knocked me over and I had to catch myself from snapping at him. Maybe he'll spread the word and we'll have a whole crew of free coffee snaggers next week, he he.
That was me, Vanessa, not David, FYI. Stupid Google.
So, as a Jehovah's witness we do what Jesus instructed his disciples to do... Preach from house to house, right so you would not believe how many people think its funny to come to the door in little or NOTHING at all. Like this one older man who must have looked through the window and seen me but not the girls, door opens he sees the girls, they see him and spin around... Door slams shut wuth the poor man having a look of pure terror on his face! Nothing said... But as we were turning to leave he opens the door again, this time wearing a housecoat and appologising profusely. And asks us to come back later after I explained why we were there, and now he is studying the bible with one of the gentlemen in our congregation.
Congrats on your discernment in this matter, Robin. But I seriously doubt that was the first time in 15 yrs--I'm sure George has stopped a few "intentions" & "attentions" over that time ;-).
Didnt know if you wanted but Jeff has written a security manual for churches, has already been implemented in one church and he has done a few presentations, did know if you need any info on it??
Karen - thanks for the offer for the security manual. We have used the Safe Church Manual and are currently implementing it (thus the Hall Monitor). Does he have any recommendations for churches meeting in public places? We also have the advantage of having theatre staff monitoring out hallways and the entry during the service. AND the front door gets locked by theatre staff 15 minutes after the service starts (this also encourages people to be on time!!). So yes, we have a lot of security in place ... but yes I wouldn't mind reading other material on church security. Is his material online? I would say overall our church is VERY secure ... we just need to keep an eye on who comes in the door during our cafe hour before the service.
Post a Comment